The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

What is your favorite brand of hay net and why?

I have a few of just the cheap hay nets from tractor supply, but my horses always rip them so they don't last me very long. Looking for something better quality. I've heard a lot of good things about the Hay Chix nets, but don't want to pay for that until I know they work!

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I really like this site and they nets they offer. diynet.net they have kits you can buy and actual nets. I have purchased both and been very happy with everything I have

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I personally rarely use hay nets with my horses, but for those who I've known with destructive horses these SmartPak Slow Feed Hay Bags last the longest (and are super easy to fill!!).

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Hay Chix. I resisted for years, but once I tried them I was a convert. I have four -- two whole-bale bags (40 lb bales) and two half-bale bags with smaller holes (not the very smallest they make though). My horse will rip any of those webbing bags to pieces in short order. The cheapo feed store nets only last a year or two.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My friend bought nibblenets years ago and they're still holding up very well. They've been great for her horse that would just wolf down his hay. It slowed him down so he wasn't finished too quickly.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Best hay nets depends on how destructive your horse is. I've literally bought every hay net, best quality ones expensive. Not one held up to my horse.

Hay chix net lasted 2 days , Nag bag lasted a week. Smart pak nets lasted 24 hours. All destroyed beyond repair. Plus many other brands most of which didn't last more than 10 hours.

What others think are great durable hay nets might not hold true for some horses.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I second the recommendation for Smart Pak Slow Feed Hay Nets. I would recommend getting the larger size (four flakes) because it's easier to fill. The two flake size has a pretty small opening. I also got the 2" hole opening, which seems to slow my horse down but isn't annoying for him.

My horse still gets a few flakes on the ground, but we put 1-2 flakes in the net for lunch just to keep some food in front of him longer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I use the hay bags for my gelding with ulcers to make sure he has hay in front of him all the time! He isn't super destructive but my cheapo Tractor Supply bags both have pretty good size holes in them after just a couple weeks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts