The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've never taken formal riding lessons in my life, and after getting my new guy Palmer, I feel like I can start over. What type of lessons would be the best to take to build trust and confidence between a horse and rider? All I've ever done is trail riding and gymkhana. I was thinking of trying some sort of English equitation or hunt seat lessons, switch to English riding and give it a try. Or would it be best to stick with Western pleasure or such? My geldings a 16 year old Standardbred ex-race horse, an old pacer. He also seems to be gaited and would have to be re-taught how to trot, which I would prefer to not to do, since I love his smooth gait the way it is.

Oh and I am not afraid to say that I am a poor rider, or I should say an un-trained rider. Hence getting an old well broke trail horse! This will be a great learning experience for myself to develope an independent seat as I hear everyone say

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I think you should continue riding western to get better with your horse and then try English in the future to improve even more..but that's just my opinion.

If you want to try English, go for it!! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
15,152 Posts
English first. I started riding western as a kid, well bareback, then western, but wish I would've started with English.

Reactions: Wallaby
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.