The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my first ride today in about 10 years and discovered that pretty much none of my old riding clothes fit me anymore... womp womp...

I remember riding pants shopping being torture so I’m hoping to avoid that by getting some recommendations for comfy schooling pants that will be kind to my pudgier figure, especially in the tummy area.

I don’t know if heads grow, or maybe that’s gotten pudgier too, but my helmet also seemed tight, and I’ve never liked how bulbous it made my head look anyways. What are your favorite low-profile, lightweight schooling helmets?

Thanks in advance!!! 🙂

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I personally prefer riding tights. They are much more comfortable than breeches, at least for me. I usually buy these and they last a long time.

https://www.horze.eu/women's-full-s...-full-seat-riding-tights/36026.html#color=SFG

A word of caution, most tights show cellulite - so if you care about such things make sure you try them on first and check. I personally don’t care but I understand a lot of women would feel uncomfortable with that.

·
Registered
591 Posts
For your helmet, I'd wait until you can go in store to try them on. Generally, helmets are made for different head shapes: oval, long oval, round and some fitting in between. For example, my head runs a bit more oval than round. I fit into Charles Owen helmets quite nicely and surprisingly, the One K (regular shape) fits decent too. However, many troxel helmets swim on my head or perch (A-shape) because many are round shape. A few, such as the Troxel liberty fit oval shapes better. You may notice that your current helmet is tight in one direction (back-front) or the other (side-side). Generally if it is the former, then your head may be more oval shape and if it is the latter, then your head may be more round. If it is all around, then it is probably too small alltogether. Best way you can find that perfect low profile helmet that is the correct fit is to try them on :) That being said, the tipperary brand helmets that TinyLiny recommended are nice! I've found the tipperary sportage runs a shape in between, plus the extra customizable padding options are nice to accommodate many head shapes.

For breeches, I second Horze and Kerrits. Both are pretty comfortable and stretchy (Horze runs a bit bigger than average sizing [their size 30s are more like a size 34 in other brands], so make sure to check their size chart!) and Horze also comes with some high waisted options you may like. I've also heard fuller fillies has a nice range of breeches.

·
Super Moderator
14,754 Posts
Jolly has some great comments about going to the store and trying on...

The best low-profile helmet is the one that fits you correctly, is so comfortable you forget it is on your head...
Yes, helmets do change shape as they are upgraded and made to fit the newest regulations so although a helmet by so-&-so was what you had and wore, today it may be very uncomfortable and not a fit you want.

Helmets come in many price ranges and styles...
What is a common denominator is all certified riding helmets must have the exact same testing and pass those tests.
Find a price range that is comfortable for you to afford, go to a store and tell the sales help what you search for and your price range and you are not interested in going above xyz cost.
If you can afford to stay in the under $80 range you will have several brands, models and styles to try from...some of the most widely used brands today fit in those parameters.
Have a budget though cause helmets can and do range from $40 - $850+ with everything in between...all having that precious certified designation to them.
If you don't need to be a fashion/fad follower than you will also not be spending the large sums of money is often true.

As for riding pants... :|
I wear breeches not tights.
Breeches have a thicker material that I find on a adult mature women is more becoming, flattering to your physique.
Tights are great but as another wrote, show everything including panty lines and whether you wear briefs, hip-hugger, bikini or thong styles.. :eek_color:
Also be aware the tighter they fit or appear the more they show.. literally. True of all riding breeches this is.
Colors, designs and things some should use a bright light and stand in front of a mirror and look critically at yourself revealed...holy cow! :eek:
I was raised to not put certain parts of my anatomy on display in public...cough, cough. Be aware.
There are also riding jeans, made with self-knee patches to protect the inner leg, no bind, great flex but jeans looking in denim material...comfortable they are but expensive.
As with anything else horsey, there are many price ranges, styles, manufacturers and materials used in riding fit and comfort level.
Try on several different in your price range and choose from what you are presented with.
To see a vast array of choices you can look online and see hundreds of price range, style, manufacturer and materials used.
I happen to have shopped in Dover Saddlery and Stateline Tack for my riding clothes as they had large selections in affordable, long wearing stylish clothing fitting my needs.
There are many other places online that come up in a search but those two mentioned businesses had stores that I could also walk into and try on yet buy online too once I learned exactly what style and manufacturer I found most comfortable and then ordered them.
As with a helmet, a particular style of riding pant in certain colors and material you will find what you want and are comfortable spending.
Riding shoes are also the same thing...try on several styles, manufacturers if searching for them.

Welcome back to riding. :cool:
:runninghorse2:...

·
Super Moderator
26,879 Posts
I like the Kerrits too. They fit tight enough to give a slim appearance but are comfy. My helmet is a troxel sierra but it looks more western because it has a leather cover. I like the troxels. My show helmet is the IHR or IRH... can't remember exact but the troxel is way more comfy.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Haven't finished reading the replies but also make sure it sits at a higher, comfortable position waist wise. The ones that are so popular today with lower waists will roll and tuck themselves under the first available bulge. That can't be comfortable and it looks bad as well.

Troxels are a no go here because of the round shape. Puts too much pressure on a head shaped oval. Ovation works well for an oval shape. Better to get the shape right as that will ultimately give you a more comfortable fit and insure the best possible fit. You can Google brands that are best for (insert your head shape) and you will see a variety of brands, styles and price points. Most important is that it is new and certified.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

For helmets I love my Ovation. It was relatively inexpensive, fits my head well, and is pretty low profile. I also like the look of Tipperary for a low profile. I grew up using Troxel and they never really fit well - too round for my head so put a lot of pressure on the front (I always had a red forehead after riding) - and they are pretty bulbous. But the best thing you can do is go and try on a few different ones in your price range.

As for breeches/tights, I agree Kerrits tights are nice but they are definitely tights so they do show things, so it depends on how much that will bother you, and Horze makes some good ones too. I also really like the Hadley breeches from Smartpak. They are higher rise than the Pipers, which always seem to fit weird and gappy in the back. They're a little more expensive than the Pipers but I think they're worth it and definitely would buy more - they seem to go on sale pretty often too!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I have found that Smartpak Pipers are a bit more generous in the waist. While I tend to prefer Kerrits IceFils in summer (there comes a point where I don't care about appearance anymore :oops:) I really like the Piper knit breeches. They are comfy/soft/stretchy like tights, but more forgiving in hiding lumps :wink:

It also helps that they come in a rainbow of colors and are affordable :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I really appreciate it! They’ve given me a lot of good ideas and places to start with my search. 🙂

1 - 11 of 11 Posts