The Horse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had many folks ask me over the years, what is "natural cow" in a horse. I think this pic best describes it. This is a young High Brow Cat colt.
Horse Working animal Saddle Fence Horse tack

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are some pics of my stud's first time on cattle. You can't "train" it in to them, they have to have it naturally. And yes, he is a son of High Brow Cat as well,

Sky Horse Cloud Working animal Horse supplies
Sky Horse Cloud Working animal Horse supplies
Sky Cloud Horse Wheel Working animal
Horse Sky Cloud Ecoregion Vertebrate

·
Super Moderator
15,260 Posts
On the cows level and a challenge in that stare of "Go ahead, I dare you....."

Good cowy horses are incredible to watch, never sat on one like this intense myself but a friend has some cowy and even in the field to graze they do their job as fun it is to them...
Friend has to often separate the horses from cattle as neither gets any peace or rest enough.
🐴 ...

·
Registered
874 Posts
That first picture I'd title "Down and dirty". What a beautiful , cowy horse! Cutters always remind me of Border collies. They are just born with it. I had a Border/Blue heeler mix that was my best cattle dog ever. When we would get the cattle penned he would sort them out and swing on their tails when he got the one I was after. Riding a good cow horse is such a pleasure. I wish I could afford a High Brow Cat horse! My current little cow pony goes to the fence anytime a cow or calf come up by it and stands and watches their every move. I have high hopes for her.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of my first colts by my stallion, lol, it still makes me laugh to think of him. I'd get so po'ed at him!! Good horse tho. He'd be out there cutting calves on his own. I'd hear a cow bawling clear into my house, and knew he was at it again. I called him Pinky cause he was sabino. This is him later in life, after he was sold and got himself a job! He sure was a character!
Horse Working animal Liver Horse supplies Bridle

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Friesians45, I have seen them down on their knees crawling around in front of a cow. You can't train that intensity into anything. It's either there naturally, or not at all. Its incredible what a horse will do in front of a cow!

My late husband and I were at a show over in Montana many years ago. He was showing and on a particularly difficult cow. That stud of ours literally jumped backward about 20 feet to get back in front of that dirty cow! I have it on tape somewhere. It was amazing to watch! I was on a turnback horse in front of it all so I got a bird's eye view of it.

They had buckles up to all the winners of the classes, and $2000 in brand new crisp $20 bills to the high scoring run of the show. We missed on the buckles, but we did bring home the cash! We had so much fun at that show!

Reactions: knightrider
1 - 9 of 9 Posts