The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, what is the best ration balancer you have found? I have Icelandics (gelding, pregnant mare, and breeding stallion), and we do a pretty decent amount of work. I am going to transition to barefoot soon also. I heard good reviews from Mad Barn, California Trace Plus, and the Nimble supplement. Anyone have experience with these products and is there anything better? (Ration balancer + grass hay is what I feed).

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I really like Buckeye's Gro'n'Win. I've known a bunch of horses that have been on it, from pregnant mares to young horses to senior horses, and they all looked phenomenal.

I've known a handful of horses on a custom supplement from HorseTech. They can make you a custom mix based on a hay analysis and your personal needs for your horses. All of the horses I've seen on it as well look amazing, but I have noticed it's not always the most palatable. When I prepared feed that contained HorseTech, I used hay pellets with the Horse Tech mixed in with a bit of water and Cocosoya.

I tried California Trace, the horses didn't find it very palatable. My mare who was on a cup of hay pellets + the California Trace had to switch to senior feed to actually eat the California Trace. My gelding prefer to pick around it as much as he could.

I was also recommended Vermont Trace, but never tried it since it's even more expensive than California Trace.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,080 Posts
I'm super impressed with what Mad Barn Amino Trace+ is doing for my 24 year old. Awesome coat, awesome feet, more consistent temperament. It has amazing levels of absolutely everything, and low iron, and very low sugar. She needs absolutely no other supplements while she's on it. It's all in there. Especially things like Biotin and Magnesium that a lot of people feel the need to add to other feeds. I give her their W3 Omega 3 oil, for joint support (omega 3 has an anti-inflammatory effect) but she'd probably be fine without it too.

However, if she were younger I would probably use their Omneity balancer, as it's about half the price and still very, very good. The levels of everything in Amino Trace+ just seem a bit better for a senior.

They can also do custom supplements based on your hay analysis but I haven't gone that route, as I board, so I have no idea if the hay source is consistent or not. Amino Trace+ is close enough!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I use Platinum Performance for my IR mare and it is great. My vet said she uses it for her easy keepers as well.

·
Super Moderator
12,663 Posts
There are several. Purina has Enrich, Enrich Plus and Free Balance. The first two are a pellet and the last a granular. There is Moorman's Grostrong which is another granular. MannaPro has CalfManna and Senior Weight Accelerator (if you need to keep weight on as well). Nutrena has their line of Topline products. Progressive Nutrition has an excellent line - ProAdd Ultimate is a good one from them. Platinum Performance also has good products.

You have to look at your needs and your goals for your horse along with what you are already feeding. That determines what you would want to supplement with. A horse on all forage depending on whether grass, legume or a mix might go one direction while someone that is also feeding a commercial pelleted feed may need to go another.

I've used all of the above at various times for various reasons and all worked for what I wanted or needed. There are plenty of others out there. Buckeye has been mentioned. Triple Crown has theirs.

What is available in your area or will you need to order online? The granular products that are fed by the ounce would not be too out of line with daily cost but a pelleted product you feed by the pound could rapidly reach a level that is not sustainable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My geldings are on Arizona Copper Complete from HorseTech and are doing very well. Prior to starting the AZCC, I had one gelding on Triple Crown Balancer. He did fairly well on it, but was very tender-footed, I believe due to the iron. Within 5 days of switching, he could walk on gravel no problem. His coat and overall wellbeing have also improved. If you're looking to go barefoot, I would highly recommend a supplement without added iron.
AZ Copper Complete
Lone Star Trace
California Trace/Plus
KIS Trace Pellets
Vermont Blend
MadBarn Amino Trace
Are just a few examples of iron-free supplements out there :).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts