The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good sites to use when buying a horse? What are some sites you'd avoid?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I tend to look at Dreamhorse. It's an easy to navigate site with lots of options to narrow your search and has many breeds/discipline.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I love Facebook! I am in a lot of groups with horses for sale in my area and that's where I've bought and sold all of my horses! If I can't find anything on Facebook, I'll look at EquineNow and Dreamhorse!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Facebook was definitely the best for me. In addition to seeing ads, you can post what you're looking for and people who may not want to widely publish their horse for sale can reach out to you if they think you might be a good match.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am in a number of FB Horse sale sites maybe I should join more! Good idea about the Vet. Unfortunately my horse died at the Vets a while back so they probably know I might be interested. Talked to my farriers also.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I am in a number of FB Horse sale sites maybe I should join more! Good idea about the Vet. Unfortunately my horse died at the Vets a while back so they probably know I might be interested. Talked to my farriers also.
My condolences, how tragic. The FB sale pages can be very specific, so figure out what you're looking for and type it in! That's how I found my horse. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I thought FB had banned animal sales?

Reactions: Tracyfl7

·
Registered
60 Posts
I guess I've gotten horses in many different ways. our first two, I bought from a lesson barn. Then I bought two from a very nice farm that has a yearly production sale of TWHs and MFTs. Then bought one on Craigslist. He is AMAZING! He was papered and I notified his breeder I had him and he'd have a home forever. Later she offered me another stunning horse from a WGC and I bought him. I bought 4 from a kill pen when my first two passed away. All my remaining horses will probably be from Bowie Auction House. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthBr-NWU3fQfx2WwclAokg They have so many really nice horses and really good prices. They are honest and do not mark them up high. It's the last kill pen before Mexico. I've learned that kill pen horses can be every bit as good as other sources and no horse deserves to be gutted alive, like they do in Mexico.

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
@ACinATX the local groups have found ways around that and as long as no one reports them they seem to be letting it go. Kind of the sure they know it is happening but turning a blind eye for now.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
I thought FB had banned animal sales?
They have.....kind of. I've noticed that the FB groups do things like mention a "lawnmower" that needs to be sold and put up pic of a horse grazing. Others say a horse is XXX Carrots instead of $XXX. On the chicken forums I've seen things like "4 Buff Cochins up for discussion." or "Chanticleer Rooster needs new zip code." and they all just say "PM for more info".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts