The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a paint gelding that turned 25 this year. He has been completely retired from riding due to arthritis, but I don't want him to go completely stiff. My vet said to try a senior supplement and continue some light work in the arena. Any suggestions on a good quality supplement? I also have a 20 year old QH mare that I am going to go ahead and start on the supplement as well. Since I have begin taking in older horses on my farm, I need a supplement that is versatile for all horses.

·
Registered
194 Posts
We have had great luck with Purina Senior! Currently, we have 8 horses over 20 who are getting it and all look and feel fantastic! :)

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
I love the Equine Senior as well. As he continues to age, you might also want to consider adding beet pulp, dampened high qality pelleted feed or dampened alfalfa cubes.

I kept a beloved old large pony with only three molars left in his mouth in good weight and healthy until 35 by feeding a combination of the Senior and the above.

I'm sorry, I just re-read the original post and realized you're asking about supplements, not feeds. No one supplement will be perfect for every horse on your place. Supplements that I have used with good results on stiff or arthritic horses include: Cosequin, Synovi-G and MSM with chondrotin.

·
Super Moderator
26,567 Posts
I started out with Purina's Equine Senior and switched about a year ago to Triple crown senior. I've seen huge improvements in the change of feed (his poop was too runny with the equine senior). I think any supplement with Glucosomine would be good.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Great advice, everyone! I also have a senior QH gelding, 15 yrs., and recently my vet suggested a senior feed supplement. I checked out the different types on-line, and Triple Crown looks like the best one for Sunny's needs. He still eats hay, but isn't getting the full nutritional value, so started dropping weight. I plan on feeding hay with the supplement, and the Triple Crown website ( Triple Crown Nutrition - Senior Formula ) has the suggested amounts to use as supplement, and a lot of info on their products, more so than other manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
i like Purina ES. i have my 19 almost 20 y/o mare and almost 18 y/o gelding on it. they have gained tons of weight and their coats are shiney and they gallop and buck around the pasture like yearlings

·
Registered
262 Posts
Put a small amount of alfalfa hay in their diet - very high quality hay - something above 160rfv. Alfalfa pellets are very often very cheap "grinding hay" and will not do what you want. The high end alfalfa will digest very easily and help maintain their weight without all the snake oil and mystery powders.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Nutrena Senior. It's totally complete. It already has beet pulp added, flax added, and probiotics added, biotin and selenium added... I could go on. The vitamin/mineral content is excellent. I've seen this work as I've used it on an old pony I had with amazing results.

Why waste money on another senior feed, when you have to buy extra stuff to supplement it with? Makes no sense to me...

·
Registered
562 Posts
i like blue seal "Vintage senior" and "equine senior". both have worked great for horses i care for.
as for supps, several friends of mine love Smartpak "Smartflex senior"

I use CortaFlex with HA, devils claw, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM for my horse. hes only 13 but he always been a eventing horse and he gets stiff easily.
ive heard "smartflex senior" is just as good but much cheaper

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Nutrena Senior. It's totally complete. It already has beet pulp added, flax added, and probiotics added, biotin and selenium added... I could go on. The vitamin/mineral content is excellent. I've seen this work as I've used it on an old pony I had with amazing results.

Why waste money on another senior feed, when you have to buy extra stuff to supplement it with? Makes no sense to me...
But how much feed to you need to give per feeding/ or per day to make it complete? I bet a whole heck of alot.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Originally Posted by sillybunny11486
But how much feed to you need to give per feeding/ or per day to make it complete? I bet a whole heck of alot.
No more than any other senior
I am not a fan of complete feeds like that. You have to give alot of feed to get results and its not efficient when your on a budget. While senior horses need calories, they dont need huge amounts of "processed calories", especially if they are retired. If I gave my mare the suggested serving of grain on her bag she'd probably founder or just be really fat. Its cheeper for me to give less grain and buy my own flax and multi vitamin/ mineral supplement, and add according to my horses individual needs.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am not a fan of complete feeds like that. You have to give alot of feed to get results and its not efficient when your on a budget. While senior horses need calories, they dont need huge amounts of "processed calories", especially if they are retired. If I gave my mare the suggested serving of grain on her bag she'd probably founder or just be really fat. Its cheeper for me to give less grain and buy my own flax and multi vitamin/ mineral supplement, and add according to my horses individual needs.[/quote]

All senior feeds are complete.. just Nutrena has more. You still hay horses that are on senior feed typically. In my old pony's case, with severe dental issues, his senior was mush, and I fed him chopped hay.

You don't have to overload them with senior and over feed... do your homework

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I dont feed senior, I never said that I do. I dont feed senior because its cheeper for me not to.

You don't have to overload them with senior and over feed... do your homework
Sorry but if I want my horse to get the adequate amount of "everything in senior" I would need to over feed my horse.

All senior feeds arent complete, just the good brands. There are probably feed mills all over the place slapping a senior label on the feeds that are just higher in calories.

I didnt say anything about hay... but Complete feed, at least where I buy feed from, means it is completely balanced meaning you dont need to add hay to it if you follow the feeding guide.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thats correct, you don't have to hay if for whatever reason you can't ie; horsey heath issues. The guideline however doesn't insist that you feed a mega large amount of senior for a daily ration.

One bag of Nutrena Senior, depending on where you buy it, runs approx 15-17 $. By the time you buy a bag of crap feed for $7, buy a bag of beet pulp for $10, flax for whatever amount (it's not that cheap), probiotics, etc etc, you'd been cheaper in the first place to buy the more costly 50# of senior, is my point.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
We feed Nutrena Senior. Good quality - plentiful hay and fresh water.

Our seniors and brood mares look great.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.