The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a mild case if she does indeed have it, I am going to have her checked out before I apply anything, but what would the best treatment be? Thanks for any answers :).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Bleach works well. You can get the green thrush-x stuff but I don't like using it because the smell stays on my hands and in my sinuses for what seems like weeks, haha

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ok, don't laugh, but I have been using listerine sprayed into the hooves this season if I see the beginning of thrush. I wasn't sure if it would be effective, but I had some in my grooming box and decided to try it. Crazy as it sounds, it has been highly effective. I would not have believed it if I hadn't tried it myself.

My spray bottle has 50/50 water to the brown original listerine. Super cheap, doesn't stain or smell funky. (Though I do happen to like the smell of Koportox, but I'm just weird like that).

·
Registered
829 Posts
My trimmer has me using apple cider vinegar on my horses who both had mild thrush and I have found it works pretty well. Every second day I pick their feet making sure to scrape all of the black gunk out down the sides of the frog then I spray the whole frog with ACV that I put in a little sprayer bottle. Might not be effective for more advanced thrush but I like that it is natural and not harsh on their feet. Have also heard that listerine works well but never tried it myself.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Every one has thier "best" solutions and thier concoctions. (not meaning that in a bad way.) The two things I have had the best success with in treating mild thrus is iodine (tincture) and Sole Pack (has iodine in it). Copper Napthanate (Thrush X) makes me sick to my stomach to the point of vomiting so I stay away from it. Plus its messy (but you can get it off your hands by using Liquid absorbine linement). Sole Pack (made by Hawthorn) is fairly inexpensive and is something I have used often for various applications. It wont dry out the feet either. I have used bleach (3:1 ratio) in a pinch but I tend to make a mess out of it and well have ruined alot of jeans and shirts plus it tends to corrode the metal workings in some spray bottles rendering them useless.. Just make sure you put it on the affected areas only.

Reactions: Meadow

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
You'll get tons of opinions, but I also use No Thrush, alternating with "Pete's Goo"- just do a google search for that, it's a mix of athletes foot cream & neosporin.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Hands down best and only treatment that works on my horse is Tomorrow cow mastitis treatment. The worst case I had to apply for 7 days but on your average thrush episode it usually cleans up in 3-4. Best stuff ever.

Reactions: Meadow
1 - 8 of 8 Posts