The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 3 year old gelding who is very very mouthy, and he has the incredibly irritating habit of taking off his clothes. :-x He will tear off blankets, saddle pads, standing wraps, boots, wraps, bell boots, everything. So we tend to not leave him with anything on if we can avoid it.

However, when he goes out to turnout this poses a problem. He tends to leave his front and hind boots alone, but always decides to destroy his bell boots. We have tried velcro, pull on, and the davis pvc bell boots. He will bite and rip at the bell boot until he manages to rip the velcro attachment piece off and the bell boot can no longer be used. He also will rip the fuzzy part off of a fuzzy pair of bell boots. - Did I mention that normal bell boots will rub him raw until he bleeds? :cry:

Does anybody know of any bell boots he would have a difficult time getting off? (Only for use in turnout for he doesn't need any at any other time)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Does he absolutely have to have boots on during turnout? Has he actually hurt himself by overreaching or interfering? I take the "less is more" approach. I only use boots in very specific situations. I think I have actually heard that putting boots on every time that you ride and/or every time that you turn a horse out can actually weaken their legs and make them reliant upon the boots. Sort of like when you wear a brace or a cast for an extended period of time and your arm or leg feels weak after taking it off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.