The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to a show and need to clean my brushes. I can never seem to get that deep embedded dirt out. If possible I'd like to find a home remedy instead of buying something. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Two sets of brushes is the answer, one for home, one for show.

For cleaning though I usually have a bucket of hot water with horse shampoo in it, drop them all in, then use the plastic curry to scrub the bristle brushes. Rinse all in clear water then leave out to dry.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Stick them in the dishwasher! I've never had a plastic brush/comb melt in the dishwasher if it's horse quality. Comes out nice and tidy.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I just use a bucket of hot water, filled with just enough water to cover the bristles and just below the edge of the handle, when the brush is facing down. Put in a capful or two of bleach, depending on the size of the bucket. Put the bushes in and swish around. It helps if you take a couple brushes and rub them together. Then when they are clean rinse them out with some clean water. Then lay them out to dry. I've used this with both hair brushes and pvc brushes and have had no issues. Just be sure that if the handles are wood that they don't get soaked and when they're drying the wood side is up. If you leave them wet they can get damaged and warped. If they're plastic no need to worry.

Reactions: Foxhunter

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
When I bathe the horses for a show, the left over shampoo water is the bucket I throw the everyday brushes into. Finish up with the horses, banding, blanketing, etc. Then scrub the brushes together, rinse everything off and put all my bathing products away. For show brushes, I only clean those once a year as they stay clean because I use them only on show clean horses. Same thing though, I clean them with horse shampoo, and air dry.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
The goat hair will survive. Having washed several goats on the hoof I can attest to it.

Just some warm soapy water and rinse. Use your fingers to work the bristles a bit rather than the curry.

I've slipped the plastic bristle brushes in the dishwasher too, but it was when nobody else was looking.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Your show grooming bag is just that "shows only". The barn brushes are to be left there. I use a hot bucket of water with some oxyclean and soak them overnight. Then rinse with a bleach solution if needed

·
Super Moderator
9,734 Posts
Stick them in the dishwasher! I've never had a plastic brush/comb melt in the dishwasher if it's horse quality. Comes out nice and tidy.
Top rack works great. Then I dry them in the sun, bristle end down.

The goat hair will be fine, too. Goats do okay in rain. Show goats get bathed.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
All of my brushes have leather or wood backs, so I don't like to ruin them by soaking. What I do is get a shallow rubber feed pan and fili it up a few inches with warm water and either oxyclean, or some horse blanket and wrap shampoo that has antifungal/antimicrobial stuff. Sorry, I cannot for the life of me remember what it's called. The brushes get put bristels down in that so that only the bristles get soaked. I leave them in for about 15-20 minutes then I scrape them against a sweat scraper or metal shedding blade. Put clean, warm water in the pan and repeat a few times until the soap is out. Then they get dried in the sun. I have a goat hair brush and have had no problems doing this to it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I only have one set of brushes, but two days before a show I will soak them in a bucket with Pin Sol to disinfect them. This past week, I did a quick soak in the bathtub with some Dr. Bronner's peppermint castille soap, and they all came out very clean.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Soak them in a bucket of hot water and soap (horse shampoo is fine), rinse them out, and let them sun-dry. The goat hair should be fine. :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
I fill a bucket with hot water and add two capfuls of bleach. I then drop all my grooming tools in the bucket and let them soak for 5-10 minutes. I then use the hose/faucet to rinse each brush and finally I place them in the sun to dry (bristles down on brushes).
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.