The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best winter riding coats?

4K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  Acadianartist 
#1 ·
I am thinking of treating myself to a nice riding coat in the new year, especially if I can find some good sales. What are your favorites for riding? I like long coats because they cover my legs, but they must have slits on the side or a front that opens from the bottom for riding. The warmer, the better, as I ride in very cold, below freezing weather and snow. A hood is nice, but a high collar even better since I'd be wearing a helmet anyway, but I like a collar that covers my neck.

I've been eyeing the Equidry coat out of the UK, but they are so oversized, I think it would annoy me. I understand that they are made to fit over many layers, however, I have having a lot of extra material flopping around. And since I'm short, I feel like I would just feel lost in it.

I have a great riding skirt so a shorter coat would also work with my riding skirt if you have suggestions for those. What are your favorite brands for winter riding?

#2 ·
I like the ariat soft shell jacket.. honestly I love any of Ariats winter jackets but they are pricey..
Kerrits jackets are good… I’ve never bought a QEQ winter riding Jacket before but supposedly they’re nice. Ovation, Dublin, horze, outback, cinch, LeMieux all have decent winter riding jackets too.

#3 ·
I have one similiar to this with a shearling vest liner. I retired my outback as I could no longer handle the weight or needed the length.
Brown Natural material Sleeve Collar Blazer

One-piece garment Sleeve Dress Day dress Collar

This is my next coat. A friend is going to make it out of a natural fiber as this is acrylic. Working on which then add pockets along with a liner and hood.

#5 ·
I was trying to find a link to the Mountain Horse coat I have had for years but I don't think they make it anymore!

It's lightweight, water and wind proof. Had zippers on the vents. Long, mid thigh length with riding slits you could button or unbutton. A high collar and detachable hood. Lots of pockets.
Because it is a lighter weight coat I'd just layer wool sweater, vest, etc depending on how cold it was. I've worn it in negative temps (F) with no issue.

#11 ·
This is the closest I could find to the one I have.

This one is mine. I think I've had it since 2014 and it's been abused. I've bought a Columbia coat to ride in and I still like this one better.

Product Sleeve Collar Electric blue Button

Shorts Sleeve Grey Sportswear Sports equipment

#9 ·
I practically live in quilted flannel shirts at the barn. They are warmer than you think. I get a medium men's size so there's room to layer thermal knits or polar fleece underneath. There's a variety of styles--hooded or without, snaps, buttons or zip front. Some have side pockets too and those are preferred. Super light weight, easy on/off and so comfortable--love mine. Also you can find them at great prices most the time.

#14 ·
I should probably get a couple of those for chores, or fall riding, but this wouldn't be very waterproof so I would end up getting fairly wet when riding in snow (like literally riding when it's snowing out). They look very comfy though... now I want one for chores on cooler days! I just don't think it would stand up to the -20C temps we get here.

#12 ·
I’ve been ogling this one. I can’t justify it since I ride inside, but ooooooo.

I especially love the blue!

#16 ·
In the old days when I rode a lot in the winter time, and in Ontario it could get pretty cold, sometimes with a bitter wind, I had a good down jacket and I was always warm in that coat no matter how cold or how far I rode. It came down just over my hips. I also had a type of neck warmer that my Mom knit for me, it was worn double thick and wide at the bottom so it went right over your shoulders so no wind went down your neck and you could pull it up over your face right to the eyes to protect your face. I still wear these today but have to knit my own now. The shell of the jacket was pretty water proof so even drizzle or snow had no effect on me. I was always warm in that jacket.

#20 ·
I have a couple of down coats, a short one and a long one, and they are great for chores, but not practical for riding since they don't have side zips so they bunch up in the saddle. But you can't beat the down for warmth! It doesn't matter how cold it is outside, I am never cold in one of my down coats!

Funny how I have about 6 barn coats for fall and winter, but only two to wear out in public and at work, lol. Priorities!

#23 · (Edited)
I love these too! I've gotten to the point I don't want to wear mine out, unless I really need it I don't wear it. The only thing I don't like about the one I have, pockets don't button or zip, easily remedied by a simple button but I haven't done it.

I had a WWII Swedish army wool overcoat I regret trading off. It was long(mid calf?), riding slits but it big it draped well on a horse, double breasted with a full collar. I always felt majestic in it, like I should of been weilding a sword..or M1 garand..lol

#18 ·
I have a Canada Weather Gear. It’s good. It’s not particularly attractive, but it’s long and zips on the sides too. It’s warm. I thought the zipper was going out this fall, but I clamped it down and it seems alright again.

I think this one is mine in a different color. The fur zips off, and I did take mine off because it’s a bit silly to me.Canada Weather Gear Faux Fur Diamond Stitch Parka Jacket - Rust

ETA- there is a good sale right now you can see. It seems like there always is. I’ve been super happy with them though. I messed up my first one trying to wash it too often.

Reactions: Acadianartist
#21 ·
I ride in fjallraven Greenland No 1 down jacket. The exterior is tough enough that it does not rip or tear on branches. The down is good quality and you can layer more underneath depending on how cold it is. I ride with a fleece underneath to -20C ish. I like the bomber length as I ride with shotgun chaps in the winter.

Likely not the setup some ladies are looking for but posted anyway.

#34 ·
I ride in fjallraven Greenland No 1 down jacket. The exterior is tough enough that it does not rip or tear on branches. The down is good quality and you can layer more underneath depending on how cold it is. I ride with a fleece underneath to -20C ish. I like the bomber length as I ride with shotgun chaps in the winter.

Likely not the setup some ladies are looking for but posted anyway.
Coming back to this one, which I could wear with my winter riding skirt. They are gorgeous! And look to be very high quality and durable. But ouch, the price tag reflects that. Do they ever go on sale?

#22 ·
My coat had a zip that opened from the bottom as well so I could just open it at the bottom a couple of inches and that cleared the saddle (english) and it did not come down so far that it bunched up around the bottom. I would also wear leather chaps to protect my legs if it was really bitter cold. I rode in that coat for over 25 years. Saved it just for riding.

Why did the Grinch go to the Liquor Store??....

To buy some Christmas spirits.

#25 ·
My grandfather was a shorter, slighter man than any of the boys. About our size as middle schoolers. Everyone of us wore his Navy peacoat through that time frame. That got me to thinking about what I most wore driving which was a thick hooded wool cape. It worked well for riding too but collected hay and hair like crazy.

#28 ·
I do not like long coats. I feel like I am fighting them and the saddle about what goes where.

I usually ride in layers.

An old turtle neck shirt to protect my neck.
A warm shirt over that, (I use the LLBean "river driver" shirt. It is a men's shirt, but who is looking.
Over that, I usually wear a lined wool shirt.
Then I wear a goose down vest.

I also use a helmet cover and a scarf.

If that is not warm enough, I probably will go back in the house.

#29 ·
I do not like long coats. I feel like I am fighting them and the saddle about what goes where.

I usually ride in layers.

An old turtle neck shirt to protect my neck.
A warm shirt over that, (I use the LLBean "river driver" shirt. It is a men's shirt, but who is looking.
Over that, I usually wear a lined wool shirt.
Then I wear a goose down vest.

I also use a helmet cover and a scarf.

If that is not warm enough, I probably will go back in the house.
Haha, I get it. But it's always cold here in the winter, so if I didn't wear a heavy coat and ride anyway, I wouldn't be able to ride all winter. It's pretty typical for me to ride until it gets down to about -15C. Beyond that, I probably won't ride, unless I get really desperate. I do like my goose down vests, but they wouldn't be warm enough in that kind of cold.

This is what I normally look like riding in winter, lol. I am wearing my heavy, down-filled coat with my insulated riding skirt, my helmet cover, thick winter gloves and winter boots. It works, but I'd like to get a coat that is not quite this bulky. The bulky coat is now my barn chores coat. I did end up ordering one from Canada Weather Gear so I'm very excited to get it. And while I was there, I bought a bunch of other items on sale! They have a great selection of cheap winter PJs, some hoodies, sweatpants that should work well for riding and to do chores, etc.

Dog Snow Dog breed Carnivore Tree

#30 ·
Canada Goose makes the best quality coats money can buy, they can be a bit pricy but I've had the same one since I was twelve and it still holds up even though I wear it to the barn every day in the winter and have been for eight years. Their coats aren't specifically made for riding but there are a lot of good options to choose from and they last a long time.

#32 ·
You're right, but I don't think I could ever justify spending that kind of money on a riding coat. Though I do keep an eye on used down-filled coats and if I could get one cheap enough, I might scoop it up. Most of my barn coats are used down-filled coats. But I do put a beating on them. I had one that was my very favorite and the zipper eventually gave way. I kind of regret not having it fixed because I loved that coat. I have unfortunately thrown out quite a few coats over the years when the zippers failed.

#33 ·
Updating to say that I got the coat ordered from Canada Weather Gear (link above). Good deal - 300$ coat for 99$. However, if anyone is considering getting one, I'd say order down. I bought a small and it's very big on me. I'm not THAT tiny, lol. I like the length and the side zippers, however it doesn't zip up from the bottom in the front so that will be annoying. I'm picturing a bunch of fabric scrunched up right on my pommel. So it may end up being a chores coat after all.

Also, there's no way this coat will be warm enough. I have three now that are considerably warmer. It' pretty lightweight in comparison. Oh well... I did need another barn coat. One of my daughter's student was tacking up for a lesson the other day and I walked in wearing my current coat - a thrift buy in a very light colour - and she said "What happened to your coat?!!" in this horrified voice, lol. It's just dirty. I told her this is what it's like to care for horses day in and day out! So a black one will hide the dirt a little more.

So the search continues...

#37 ·
One thing about your new coat, you mention that it doesn't zip up from the bottom. I find that sometimes if the zipper is metal it can scratch the pommel of your saddle. if you ride in it try to roll the front up a little and tuck it up inside so the zipper is not in contact with your saddle.
Perhaps you could find a good quality vest, hopefully down, at a thrift shop and wear it under the coat. I have found some very good buys at the thrift shops for winter riding coats. Or there may be some on sale now that winter is half over.

I just hate to pay so much for a barn coat and I just check these shops when I am in town and have picked up some that are actually much better quality than my good coats. But that's ok as I feel I would like the better quality when outside doing chores, riding etc in the bitter cold.

#38 ·
Thanks - I'll be careful of the pommel getting scratched. I haven't been able to ride with my new coat yet because it's sheer ice outside and has been for nearly two weeks. I'm pretty much losing my mind.

I already have two very warm vests, which are great to layer, but then it gets very bulky which I find annoying. I like them best on those coolish days when I don't really need a full coat (I wear a warm sweater underneath) rather than the truly cold ones. The long coat I bought is already really thick so I think it would just be too much with a vest underneath. It doesn't help that I'm short and have stubby little arms and legs so I look like the Michelin man with all those layers! It makes it difficult to move comfortably. These are the problems of short people living in a cold climate!

White Gesture Thumb Electric blue Fictional character

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.