The Horse Forum banner

Beware

7400 Views 45 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  66Domino
I know this sounds stupid but if there were a great number of horses missing it's probably because someone is trying to sell it to slaughter for money and it may sound sad but it's true Horse slaughter is legal again thanks to Obama :evil:
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 46 Posts
Yes... Sadly, if slaughter stops, there will be WAY too many horses in the world who don't have loving homes and won't get the care they need because of it. It's sad, but it's no different than shelters that have to put down dogs and cats because of overpopulation. It's a necessary thing. I don't think I'm for it when people are running slaughter operations (buying as many horses as possible and selling them to slaughter just to gain profit, when those horses could have had wonderful homes) but it really is necessary to avoid mass overpopulation. It's not as easy as 'breed less horses and it won't be an issue' - if it was as simple as that something would have changed by now, but I think this is just the way it is and will be for a long time to come.

Also, some people eat horses. So, there's that too. (Just like some people in other countries eat dogs. Or how we eat cattle, but in some countries Cattle are sacred and never used for consumption.)
See less See more
Reactions: 3
Well how else do you propose they do it? The two methods I know of are 1.) using an electric probe to knock them out cold, then hoisting them up and cutting the throat to drain the blood. and 2.) using a bolt gun to the head to kill it right away, and then hoisting them up and cutting the throat to drain the blood.

It's awful. And it's sad. But there is no other way to do it that is as fast and effective that will keep it fit for consumption. It's not perfect, but it's about the best they can do.

Edit: Yes to everything said above me! Mexico horse slaughter is absolutely brutal. Better to do it here where it is regulated.
Reactions: 1
That is not a typical euthanasia. Something went wrong. That is unfortunate.
Yes, I agree. And personally, if this was the same vet who did both of these euthanasias I would not ask them to care for my animals again.

I interned at a rehab center this last summer. Sadly, a lot of animals have to be euthed because we just can't do anything for them. Every single one I witnessed was painless and humane. The animal - whether it be a fox or a tiny sparrow - was sedated and put under, and then delivered an injection into their heart. The last thing any of them remembered was peacefully falling asleep, and that is how it should be every single time any animal is ever put to sleep.
I am so sorry for your loss. Vets are only human just like the rest of us. And as such, they make mistakes. The most horrific animal death I have ever witnessed was a botched castration. Perfectly routine, textbook procedure. Vet was fresh out of school, came highly recommended by the regular vet who couldn't do the procedure that day. He missed an enlarged inguinal ring and the animal was eviscerated. He didn't believe me when I called to say the poor creature's guts were out. I waited an hour for him to come back. Another hour for the vet to clean the intestines and stuff them back in. He ended up dying in my arms... with only two stitches to go. I will never, ever forget walking into the barn that day and seeing him stagger to his feet and trying to come to me with his guts hanging out. It still haunts me in my dreams and was nearly two years ago... Do I blame the vet? Not really. Yes, it was entirely preventable, but we all make mistakes. I bet you that vet will NEVER make that mistake again. It is a shame that an innocent creature I loved had to suffer so horrifically, but his ultimate sacrifice made the world better for other creatures.........
Thank you SO MUCH for this. People expect vets to be PERFECT. And doctors... Oh my lord, especially doctors. Being a vet/doctor/medical anything is the only professions people expect humans to be perfect and throw a lawsuit when they aren't, and it just can't happen. People will make mistakes no matter how hard they try not to. A vet is a person just like you or me.

My old dog had a major issue with his ear - an autoimmune thing that made it extremely painful to open his mouth. Our vet had NO idea what it was, and we spent SO much money trying to figure out what he had. For months we tried, until he figured it out - but it was too late, and he had to be put to sleep. But not long after that, another Mastiff came into the vet with the same issue, and he knew exactly how to treat it. It was awful, and we all wish he could have found it sooner. It was something he had never seen before and he was looking at a jaw infection instead of the inner ear. He had every reason to suspect a jaw issue. Like you said, I bet he will NEVER make that same mistake again, and will double check ear/jaw issues from now on. An awful circumstance but because of it he was able to save the next dog. We still love the vet and go to him even though it's a long drive after moving - he really did go above and beyond for the dog, doing tests and research on his own time that he didn't charge us for, even sending some to other states and overseas.

It's all a matter of finding the right veterinarian. Had he made the same mistake again (like the vet improperly euthanizing several horses) we likely would have not gone back.
See less See more
1 - 4 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.