The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my little mustang mare that I bought this fall. She has a very round belly but I don't think she is really overweight. My sister thinks she needs a ration balancer and that she might be deficient in something...when I got her she was on irrigated pasture and grass hay...her owner would have to pull her off the pasture because she would get too fat. I started her on orchard grass and have since switched her to teff hay. She gets a couple cups of rye grass pellets(to keep her from eating her pasture mates senior feed) twice a day and is on a dry lot. She is obsessed with food but has started leaving some hay in the feeder and coming back and finishing it off later.
From these pics does she look like she has a deficiency or does she need to develop her topline more(she has no idea how to collect yet and I'm taking lessons with her).
The first pictures are of her now and the last one are from the fall.

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
Looks like s sturdy chunk. I'd say some of it may be hay belly and she could do better on a better quality protein. Adding in alfalfa or peanut hay could do the trick.

I have one that the protein/amino acids need to be spot on, sand cleared and wormed (power pac) to keep her looking like a horse and not a sock puppet that swallowed a beach ball.

·
Registered
49,417 Posts
is it possible she is pregnant? I mean, she's fatter now than when you got her. . .
she is very cute, and has nicce big feet. She reminds me of a friend's Kiger mare; smartest horse I ever met.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is it possible she is pregnant? I mean, she's fatter now than when you got her. . .
she is very cute, and has nicce big feet. She reminds me of a friend's Kiger mare; smartest horse I ever met.
Haha! She better not be! I think it's her winter coat that makes her look bigger(er...I mean fluffy!). Her cinch actually has a couple extra hole in it now so I think she has lost some. She's super smart and has some faint stripes on her legs and withers. I love her feet...she wears a 2.5 boot!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like s sturdy chunk. I'd say some of it may be hay belly and she could do better on a better quality protein. Adding in alfalfa or peanut hay could do the trick.

I have one that the protein/amino acids need to be spot on, sand cleared and wormed (power pac) to keep her looking like a horse and not a sock puppet that swallowed a beach ball.
Thank you! Maybe I need to talk to my vet? She hasn't seen her yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha! She better not be! I think it's her winter coat that makes her look bigger(er...I mean fluffy!). Her cinch actually has a couple extra hole in it now so I think she has lost some. She's super smart and has some faint stripes on her legs and withers. I love her feet...she wears a 2.5 boot!
I should add that she did eat a lot of acorns this fall...I tried raking them up but it was a mast year and she was like a hound dog sniffing them out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you! Maybe I need to talk to my vet? She hasn't seen her yet.
A check up by your vet sounds appropriate. My healthy kids and animals got annual physicals. 😉 A good worming and change in diet may be in order. I bought a middle aged pot bellied gelding. I called in the vet for a check up and battle plan to streamline the guy. He was free of parasites and the labs were good. The vet said he couldn't be a registered ASB. He was part pig. He just required monitoring of his diet and regular exercise. He lived well until age 25. Best wishes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
She is very beautiful! Do you know which herd she came from?
A ration balancer may end up being too many calories for her. Given her breed and current weight, I would look for a vitamin/mineral supplement WITHOUT Iron. California Trace/Trace Plus, KISS Trace, Vermont Horse Blend, Arizona Copper Complete, Lone Star Trace, Madbarn Amino Trace, etc, are a few high quality V/M supplements that do not include iron.

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
I just want to add that you should consider her ribcage conformation too. It's hard to tell with her winter furry coat, and does look like she could lose some more weight, but I have a horse (Dexter) who always looks fat even when he is in good shape. But he has the most "well sprung" ribcage on a horse that I have ever had. He's not fat, his topline has been getting better the longer I have had him (teaching him to travel correctly), and you can just barely see a hint of ribs when he moves. But I get comments all the time from people about him being fat! But they do not realize that his ribs sit where his ribs sit. I can't exactly move his bones, LOL.

Lovely horse you have!

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
I have one like that as well. Every thinks pregnant but nope. Just her. True meaning of barrel shaped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts