The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horse has a big belly (not in a wormy or pregnant way), and I was wondering how to tell the difference between a "hay-belly" and just a large barrel (conformation)?

She otherwise seems really narrow (like, for saddles) except for the barrel. Ribs can be felt. Vet scored my horse at roughly 4- 4.5 BSC in the fall and could use some more weight (personally, I think she is higher on the scale, but whatever). Large from front to back; not wasp-waisted.

·
Registered
Retired breeder
1,036 Posts
Going to need pics to answer your questions.

·
Super Moderator
13,421 Posts
Yes pictures would be helpful. Even those with round barrels can have hay belly and end up looking very pregnant. I have one like that. It took a round of sand clear, power pack wormer and a very high quality protein source to get rid of the belly. The barrel relaxed somewhat but she's still round. Doesn't look pregnant anymore.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Is the spine protruding ? Do her ribs stick out as bones or are have the got some flesh covering them? Some horses just have big bellys. A photo would be nice, because what you are calling a large belly may be nothing to compared to what others call a big belly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two things:
I know hindquarters are weak. That's due to Vit. E deficiency (which is being corrected).
Flank is not hollow. That's just a shadow.

Neck Terrestrial animal Plant Liver Tree

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
The lack of muscle will keep the horse from being able to lift the belly like normal. It should get better as the deficiency resolves.
This kind of belly is seen on Cushing's horses and horses that have been starved also, from the muscle weakness. Adding amino acids can help rebuild the muscles faster. I use Tri amino from Uckele.

·
Registered
Retired breeder
1,036 Posts
I see an out of condition horse. Just needs more work.

·
Registered
Retired breeder
1,036 Posts
I see an out of condition horse. Just needs more work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts