The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, for the past week ive been doing some deep thinking and I've come up with a few options for Chance. I know I know please bare with me I need some honest opinions. I know this is longgggggg

Thursday the farrier will be coming up to do corrective shoeing, already I know this isnt going to be a perminate fix. I was thinking already knowing this, I could get the shoes on her and sell her as a light dressage horse, or a good trail horse, or even a horse a lesson program could use to give kids lunge lessons, and actually get some money for her. I want to jump, and even though im not 100% sure [im gonna ask] I dont think she would be able to jump again at least not very high. Which I want to go into hunter/jumpers. I AM willing to switch displines for her if she is able to stay sound.. but I know I will always have the itch to jump her. :? Chance is 14.3-15H [depending on that days :p] Im 5'3 I am a bit big for her aswell.

Another option is to get the shoes put on her, put her back into work.. start working on her training again and just hope to god she doesn't damage anything worse while going back into training. Pay for injections if she needs them if the shoes isn't enough then wait till shes sound again then put her back into work and again hope she stays sound.. and if all else fails she goes out as a pasture pet. Shes only 6 so I ccant believe this mare is going through that.

For some reason I feel like I was always ment to sell her and pass her on to a family that will enjoy her and this is just forcing it. Shes a GREAT mare, a barn favorite. Everyone will comment on how well mannered/sweet she is. Which is great :) Im proud of what I've done with her.
I love her to death, shes my whole world but Im trying to see whats best for her. Im attached to her like no other horse, I've had her since she was 4 1/2. Im training 4 other horses on top of caring for her and its not the same feeling I use to get when I rode Chance and I miss it so much. :cry:.

ARRRGGHHH

on top of all that ive already paid $1000 in vet bills.....

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I think it may be time for another reality check. SHE IS NOT KID SAFE!!!!! Please don't try to sell her as such. You would have had far fewer threads if she was anywhere near safe for a kid to ride. Be honest about what she is to yourself and any prospective buyers or you will likely regret it.

I am 6'8" and I ride a 15 hand horse. She is not too small for you.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
She actually is pretty kid safe. Shes had a 4 year old on her. and My 8 year old cousin the the outdoor by himself w/t. Im not saying a little kid should have her. I ment like lunge lessons. She has her days. which is why im saying a I would NEVER want a little kid to own her. But she is very good to learn on like on lunge.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
They are either kid safe every day or they are not kid safe but suit yourself.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
You have got to be kidding. After the threads you have made about this horse, you are seriously going to try and sell her as a lesson horse for kids or a trail horse??? She needs an experienced rider IMO. It is so hard to find a horse that suits a riders needs because so many people lie about their horses. Be one of the decent ones. Find Chance a home where the horse and rider can be happy if you want to get rid of her. Don't cover up truths to get more money out of her only to have her wind up with a family that can't handle her and end up selling her at a horse sale or she winds up in the meat market. No, you probably won't get as much money for her, but hopefully by being honest you will find her a home where everyone can be happy.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No I understand what your saying. Shes pretty far from "kid safe" as in teh sense that anyone could just get on her and go. But she is 100% safe for the occasional pony ride or having like a 10 yr old just go plodd around on her. Even my friend whos NEVER ridden before walked/trotted her for a good 30 mins and never took a wrong step.

This past few weeks ive been jumping on her with nothing on her head and just kinda enjoying sitting on her again while she wonders the arenas.

And shes been to the beach, and on the road, along with multiple trail rides even lead them. Shes an amazingggg trail horse. Suprisingly enough. Just not in teh winter shes very hot in the winter. But the vet believe that was the lyme acting up because it tends to fire up in colder weather. Ever since she had the treatment not much as set her off I've been desensatizing her to everything latly .. and things i swear shes gonna jump out of her skin with she barely looks at.

idc so much for the money. I mean if I could find her a nice enough home honestly I think id be willing to let her go for free. I want her in a place where she deserves to be.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've believe I've read in a couple of books that a horse (given that it has good confo) 15-15.2 hands is the ideal size for an average male rider.

I am not well-phrased on the cause of Chance's sudden health problem. Did you post somewhere how the injury could have been caused? I cannot imagine how I would feel (other than devastated) if someone told me I could not progress further in Frida's training. However, if I ever had to face what you are now, I would be quite content keeping my horse as a light dressage/trail riding horse. I progressed in Hunter/Jumper for 10+ years riding other people's horses. I guess you have to decide what is more important to you. You can keep the horse and enjoy what she is able to give you, or if you think you wouldn't be happy with just that, you can sell her to someone that will. This will leave you free to pursue another horse that can take you further towards your goals.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
They are either kid safe every day or they are not kid safe

I agree with Kevin. He hit the nail on the head. Even if she goes nuts just once a year (which it seems like it is more than that) then you shouldn't be calling her kid safe. As a parent, I can tell you, she would have one time to act like that with my kid and she'd get a bullet between her eyes. And I'm referring to the post by you where she went crazy on you.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
she would have one time to act like that with my kid and she'd get a bullet between her eyes.
O.O!! I just cringed when I read that. Gah. I do regret not posting the good stuff about Chance. I mostly kept that for the Parelli forum. But to late now.. Chance already has a rep ... and not a good one which is sad cause she isnt all the life threatening... well.. hmm any horse can be.

Seahorseys - See thats what im trying to figure out. I cant decide what I feel is more important the relationship i've built with this mare and just enjoy doing what I can with her. Who knows maybe in time I can progress more. Or is my goal to go higher in jumping more important. I mean I can get my jumping in with the horses Im training recently. Little is mine for 4-6 years and hes a good jumper and I could show him. So its pros and cons basically. I just cant wait for thursday to see what teh farrier says.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
she would have one time to act like that with my kid and she'd get a bullet between her eyes.
O.O!! I just cringed when I read that. Gah. I do regret not posting the good stuff about Chance. I mostly kept that for the Parelli forum. But to late now.. Chance already has a rep ... and not a good one which is sad cause she isnt all the life threatening... well.. hmm any horse can be.

I'm not saying that Chance doesn't have good qualities. She will probably make someone a fantastic horse...just not a kid or inexperienced rider. If I were the one riding her and she acted crazy with me it would be a totally different thing. I would be looking to get rid of her, but I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to her. If I bought her as a kids horse and had tried her out and she seemed to be just that, then I expect her to be that way always. If she goes out one day out of the blue and tries to hurt my kid, then there are no second chances...that's what I was saying. That is why you should be honest and careful when selling your horse. Your horse deserves better than to be sold as something she's not.

I edited to add that my horse is a good horse...but he is not kid safe, so my kids don't ride him. It doesn't mean he is bad.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Okay I get what your saying. Thanks for clearifying. My mom was the same way when she saw me get thrown from my horse that first time [ almost 2 years ago] she was ready to put her in the slaughter house as horrible as that seemed then, with what you just said I guess I can understand why.

Im talking to people who know us in person. Im trying to see where everyone stands. A bunch of people are giving my some good alternatives I could do with her while shes rehibiliating. Teaching her like a lot of in hand horse liek Haunches in/out, shoulders in/out. Just a lot of stuff that will help with A LOT of the riding when her bodys ready for it. I think it would be fun. Im gonna do a lot of research and talk to a bunch of different farriers. I want to try my best to keep her barefoot. I think once I talk to my farrier Ill have a little bit more insight of what her career may look like in the long run and Ill be able to choose what I want to do. But Im doing as much research/reading as I can.

If I am to sell her I would be honest because I ended up with her because the ex owners Lied... and drugged her. She was a supposed hunter jumper who could do courses with lead changes.. and what have you.. I saw her ridden but never thought she would have been drugged.. I bought her.. got on her and TOTALLLLLLLY different story. So I know what that is liek and I would never want that to happen to someone else. Money or not.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well, the 'halter' class at our local fun shows are just like basic showmanship patterns. It may be worth peeking at, since she can be unpredictable under saddle. If the owner keeps her fairly sound, and she does well on the ground..

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shes amazing on the ground. I never worry when people are working with her on the ground. So its deffinately something to look at.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I would find a nice person that just wants a horse to brush, and walk and love and play ground games with. There are more and more of those kinds of people out there and she seems like she would do good in that venue. Maybe before you sell her you could teach her to bow or spanish walk or something and that would really appeal to someone like that.

I had an older mare that could no longer jump but was still a wonderful horse. That being said she was a 20-something older mare that you could stick a toddler on in the ring and around the farm and she would walk like she was on eggshells. But you took her on a trail and she would go about her merry way just as she pleased at whatever gait she chose. She would get you home safe and sound if you were a beginner but you had better hold on and shut up for the ride or lose a fight and walk home. I had to decide whether keeping her and sacrificing my goals was worth it for either of us. And I decided to go about finding her a new home. She was more happy being a play around horse and I wanted to compete. I found her a wonderful home with 3 younger girls that rode her all over their farm, she adored those girls and was the most perfect little kids horse for them. She would meet them at the end of the pasture when they got off the bus, and loved to be brushed and fussed over and she was perfectly well behaved while they were learning to ride around the farm. Once they got good enough to go trail riding they had already formed a partnership and she was good as gold then too.

You just need to list all chance's good AND bad qualities and then find someone or a family that fits her personality. It might be the last person you thought she would do well with but there is one out there. I do know that if you try to change your goals at your age and skill level you are going to get bored/frustrated/etc and it will ruin the bond you have with Chance anyways because a part of you will always resent the fact that she can't do what you want to do.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Just had to point one thing out. You are not too big for her. I'm 5'2" and ride a horse that is her height and I have no problems.

Just saying :)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NE - Great reply! Theres deffinately a lot of thinking I need to do. I also think I would get frusterated/bored and just always want to jump her. I was thinking about if I CAN put her back in training were probably gonna be at square one again, and have quirks to work out and that could do more damage.. so Im trying to balence this out the best I can. Im trying not to say "well I love her" Im trying to find whats best for both of us.

Funny you mentioned tricks. She knows how to spanish walk, smile, push giant yoga balls around, stand on anything/everything and bow! Since she cant be ridden im gonna start clicker training with her for now till we figure out what were going to do.

Eventerdrew - Lol i always feel so big on her. Maybe its beause I havea longer upper body?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just don't know. I mean.... in your last thread you said as a 6 year old now, the vet says she'll never be sound and will deteriorate as she gets older. She's unpredictable now, you've made that very clear.

So now you want to sell a lame horse that has bucked you off and will get worse with age (soundness wise) to a family with a little kid? How does this seem okay to you? I don't care how sweet she "can" be some of the time, how could you even think it is okay to sell her to a home with a little kid-- and even a 10 year old kid won't have the reaction time to reprimand her if she flips out. I'd never want that on my conscience!

You need to be honest with yourself and her abilities. And please, for the sake of any little kids out there, be honest with whoever you sell her to. If she flips out while you are riding, her-- that's one thing. You have a pretty solid seat. A kid just learning to ride, or even and adult just learning to ride is very unbalanced, they flop around, and they lean on their hands. Do you think Chance would tolerate this for more than 20 minutes?

And, chances are the shoes won't be the be-all end all and fix her 100%. It could definitely help, but will she be perfectly fine again? Probably not.

If you are going to sell her, sell her to someone experienced that has a great trainer/is a trainer. And don't lie about how she can be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.