Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have been offered this Big Horn saddle for sale for just $50 by my (awesome) trainer. I was just wondering what the general consensus was on Big Horns. Do you have one? Have you ridden in one? What did you like, what didn't you?

I've ridden in one once, it was older and seemed to be in solid condition. I found it to be very comfy. From the one ride I had I liked it.

What do you all think? (sorry, the pics were taken on a phone cam).

Also, I think it seems to fit her well, do you see any glaring fit problems? (I know there needs to be more angles, sry).

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
13,661 Posts
Pics are not showing up on my end, unless you are talking about the Avatar Pic, if that is the Saddle I will give you 100.00 for it :)

Unless the Saddle has a Broken Tree or Ripped to shreds it is work 50.00 no matter what the age.

BigHorn Saddles are good Saddles

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics are not showing up on my end, unless you are talking about the Avatar Pic, if that is the Saddle I will give you 100.00 for it :)

Unless the Saddle has a Broken Tree or Ripped to shreds it is work 50.00 no matter what the age.

BigHorn Saddles are good Saddles

I'll try & post pics another way (I just copied and pasted- they're showing up on my end, wonder why they didn't make it to you?)

I wish it were the saddle in my avatar! That one is my trainer's saddle, it's a Clinton Anderson and is soooo nice.

I have yet to see it in person, but my trainer says the only thing it needs is a little TLC for the leather, everything else is sound. I will need a shorter cinch, but that is minor.

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
I have a big horn. It's about 15 years old. I still love it. I ride in a trainer now but one of "my girls" rides in it almost daily and she loves it. My only complaint was that it is a very squeeky saddle but comfortrable and has really held up well because it hasn't been really taken care of. Looks way better than the trainer I ride in which is not old at all.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a big horn. It's about 15 years old. I still love it. I ride in a trainer now but one of "my girls" rides in it almost daily and she loves it. My only complaint was that it is a very squeeky saddle but comfortrable and has really held up well because it hasn't been really taken care of. Looks way better than the trainer I ride in which is not old at all.
Well thats good to hear!

A trick for squesky saddles it to put baby puwder in between the flaps of leather.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is the only off-putting about the saddle- I'm not a fan of the navajo print. totally willing to "get over it" for the price, fit, quality and comfort tho!

Is is possible to dye Cordura? Or would I just end up ruining my pants?

·
Registered
527 Posts
You could probably due it but like you said it will probably come off. But a good price...pretty is as pretty does....:lol:

·
Registered
13,661 Posts
That is the only off-putting about the saddle- I'm not a fan of the navajo print. totally willing to "get over it" for the price, fit, quality and comfort tho!

Is is possible to dye Cordura? Or would I just end up ruining my pants?
Never heard of dying Cordura, I do not think it would work, maybe someone on here has tried it?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Never heard of dying Cordura, I do not think it would work, maybe someone on here has tried it?

I have a feeling it wouldn't... maybe paint? I'm just not a very crafty person when it comes to painting things! and as the previous poster said, "Pretty is as pretty does" and if it does the job I'll be satisfied.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I think Big Horn makes THE BEST cordura saddles. My very first saddle was a Big Horn cordura. I've since moved on to "better" saddles, but I still keep my Big Horn because it might be the perfect fit for a future horse. It is about 15 yrs. old and still in great shape.

The only caveat is make sure it fits your horse. I think a bad fitting corura is more likely to cause pressure points than a bad fitting leather saddle because the skirts aren't stiff enough to disperse some of the pressure. But use a good thick pad, and if the saddle fits the shape of the horse's back, it shouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't paint the fenders. It would look even uglier than the pattern already on it. I actually kind of like the patterned cordura!

I was once told by a friend who buys and sells saddles that cordura saddles are "disposable." I had no idea why she would say that until I started seeing corduras made by other companies. Most of them are total junk!!! But the Big Horns are top-of-the-line in corduras, from the saddles I have seen in person anyway!

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
I can't see the pix. I'll have to wait until I get home to view them. (This computer is selective on showing photos for some reason). I like indian type prints though. Is it not a full leather saddle?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can't see the pix. I'll have to wait until I get home to view them. (This computer is selective on showing photos for some reason). I like indian type prints though. Is it not a full leather saddle?
No, it has a cordura skirk and fenders, everything else is leather.

The print isn't too obnoxious(sp?) but not my ideal.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I think Big Horn makes THE BEST cordura saddles. My very first saddle was a Big Horn cordura. I've since moved on to "better" saddles, but I still keep my Big Horn because it might be the perfect fit for a future horse. It is about 15 yrs. old and still in great shape.

But the Big Horns are top-of-the-line in corduras, from the saddles I have seen in person anyway!
Agree 1000%. I have two. One is now gray with age and endurance conditioning and competition miles. Comfy for me and totally fit the horse!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.