The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been floating around my mind for ages but I've finally made a decision.

I'm going to start doing what it takes to get into university to become a veterinarian!

I'm 20 years old and have been stressing over what I wanted to do as a career since high school. It didn't help that in grade 12 I was horribly, terribly depressed. Couldn't see to the next day, let alone to the years I had ahead. I gave up on school and family and friends and everything in my life that meant anything to me. When I finally got out of the bad mental place that I was in, it was too late and my grades were in the trash. (To give a vague idea, I had honours in grade 11 but failed most of my grade 12 courses because I simply didn't attend. At the end of the grade 12 year when I started coming out of the dark again I received a 98 on my province-wide advanced English exam. 90+ in every other exam I sat. Still didn't save my grades.) I've been frustrated ever since high school about how badly I did. It's amazing and horrible what depression can do to a person.

I've been debating going back to school for the past year or so but nothing at the local colleges had gotten my interest. I considered becoming a licensed practical nurse, but in the end it's really not what I wanted to do.

So, I'm dedicating myself to becoming a veterinarian! It's going to be hard work thanks to my grade 12 marks. I need to do a solid year of prep courses at a college to get all the courses I need, then it'll be 2 years doing a pre-vet program in university, then 4 years in the actual veterinarian program. But, the way I look at it, I can either go to school for 7 years and come out doing something I love, or I can work a minimum wage job for 7 years all the while I criticize myself for not taking the jump. I know I can be the top of the class academically if I put my heart into it.

Plus, don't tell anyone, but I secretly love school. :lol:

Anyway, it's big news for me, especially since I still have days where I have to fight tooth and nail against falling back into the pit that I was in. My mom cried when I told her that I was going to actually do it. There's a lot of details to work out, but those will come. One step at a time!

Any advice? If anyone here has been to veterinary school or is currently attending, I'd love to hear a bit about it. Also coping with being away from home tips... since I've lived at home my entire life and am EXTREMELY attached to my family, especially my mom.

Wish me luck! Prep courses begin in January. :)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Goodluck :D I can already see you will make it. The first step is a good attitude and willingness to learn, you have nailed both :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm very dedicated to this now that I've settled on it! I would love to specialize in the future and become an equine vet, but we'll see. There will be a lot of options available which is another reason why this career path is so exciting. I love all animals!

Thanks for the luck!

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
You sound a lot like me.

Work your butt off in college and do the absolute best AND most impressive job possible. Do see a therapist or someone to help with your issues.

If anything a lot of colleges may love a story of how you pulled yourself back out of that hole. They want to see your character. Make it a positive thing.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You sound a lot like me.

Work your butt off in college and do the absolute best AND most impressive job possible. Do see a therapist or someone to help with your issues.

If anything a lot of colleges may love a story of how you pulled yourself back out of that hole. They want to see your character. Make it a positive thing.
Maybe I can get a psych student to be my therapist when I go into university, LOL. I definitely know that I can do well, especially since this is something I'm passionate about. Very excited.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
How exciting!!

A word from someone who knows, before you head off to school, try, if you're still having some mental health issues, to have a good counselor already in place. He or she can help you through the transition.

I've had similar things happen to me, and you're not the only one in the boat. I had depression throughout high school but managed to escape with 3rd in my class because the course work was so easy. I went to community college and had average marks and then better marks the next year when I got comfortable.

I went to university for journalism and was going to live with friends, but my gut told me something was up. I didn't listen, and my entire year I got failing marks because I was so depressed and hated journalism once I had a taste of it in the "real world" (at the local college it was more fun...). I switched majors and still flunked classes. I was on academic probation when I decided to switch schools, stay home, and do what I knew was right for me: counseling.

I can't tell you how much it helps to have your decision made and know it's right. I think I'm going to have a 4.0 for the semester or very close to it! I've NEVER had grades that good. Sure, I sometimes feel judged still living at home, but like you, I'm a huge homebody and I'm very close to my mom. This year, I've finally gotten fed up with living at home and am wanting to get my own place when I can. It will come to you when it is right.

If there's two things that I wish I had done differently, it would have been listening to my gut and doing what I was comfortable doing, not what I thought other people wanted me to do or judged me for doing (like not moving out yet).

I'm so glad that you have found your calling and are up for the challenge. :) Just follow your heart and you will be just fine!

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Best wishes to you clumsychelsea. I wanted to be a vet and had no problem with grades but I hated being stuck in a classroom. Couldn't imagine 7 more years of it because when you're young 7 years seems like forever so I didn't go on to college. Now I'm in my 50's and still wish I'd have bitten the bullet and gone to vet school. I'm so glad you're biting that bullet!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Everyone assumes I'm miserable with 2 more years of undergrad and a masters ahead of me at 21 but I'm the same type of person. I love school, I'm thinking about going for my phD and when I'm done I'll probably end up back at a college teaching :oops: seven years really isn't all that long, you'll be surprised at how quickly a University year can go!

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Not much to add, Corazon hit it out of the park. Especially the part about staying on/planning your mental health. A big plus is you already know the warning signs. With good things in place, you will be ready and won't slip into skipping classes/ poor marks again. I am happy you made a decision that is right for you. The old saying that doing something you love, you'll never work a day in your life is true. Your way ahead of the game already.

For not much to add, I sure wrote a lot. All the best to you.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys so much. :) This really is a huge step for me. I usually know what I want but am too scared to pursue it. This is TERRIFYING but I'm going for it anyway!

Mental health is so much more important than a lot of people realize I think. It's normal to go to the doctor when you're in physical pain but we neglect to take care of our mental selves. I always thought when I was younger that it was weak to go to someone when you're feeling down and that it wasn't something that needed to be talked about - But it is! I think realizing that has made a big difference for me in itself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.