The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First ride at home :) 8 months out of the saddle and on a breaker that I know can REALLY buck.... the 'oh sh**' strap was well and truly fastened to my saddle and I was quite happy to hook a couple of fingers under it ;) More for a consistent contact for him, I don't trust that I'm going to be riding well enough to stay quiet. I have also come to the realisation that although I love body building... having to squeeze back into a pair of breeches with massive thighs is not an easy feat... maybe I'd better cut back on legs :shock:

I didn't canter him under saddle today, his canter is still very unbalanced on the lunge so I'll keep working him in side reins to get his confidence and balance improved before I ask for it under saddle.

Having a play in the arena afterwards.
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Woohoo! He is looking fantastic! Love love love how much he is already using that hiney, especially in the play pictures!

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
What a great looking horse you got your hands on! you guys look great! excited to see more photos of you guys together as you get even better together :D

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Tiny, having to ride in a light training seat is still feeling unnatural as I haven't ridden a greenie let alone a breaker regularly in about 12 months. I want to sit back and drop my stirrups!!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Wow, awesome job! Seems like not that long ago you were posting pictures of him as an adorable baby, how he's under saddle. Congratulations, he looks beautiful and seems very comfortable with you in the saddle.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Sarah, time has certainly flown! I'm still pinching myself when I see him under saddle. So far so good, but this blood line is known to be pretty reactive but confident and he is no exception. Makes for an outstanding Dressage horse in the mental aspect, if you can tune those behaviours to what you want rather than naughtiness. I have seen horses of the same lines not ridden forward and they can wind up being very problematic.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Aww, how good does Billy look!! A far cry from the gangly little dude you first brought home. He's looking fantastic!

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks HC :)
I am so glad we got through the other side of the uglies!! When I bought him he was so ugly, just weaned and in the middle of winter. He looked like a little camel or a backyard bred pony. Bum high, gangly legs, upside down neck, huge head, steep shoulder. I was worried that he wouldn't revert back to the quality he showed as a foal! But my gut instinct was right in buying him :)

Today, that dreaded third ride - and in true Billy fashion, he was a little champ. Lunged in the arena for the first time, in side reins, and he took to it beautifully. The canter was AWESOME once he realised he had some more room to move and balance himself.
Hopped on him in the round yard and he was very good, not a foot out of place though I could feel that he was tired. One more day of a 15min ride tomorrow then he'll go out for a break in the paddock.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Wow, Billy's a big boy already. That went by fast. You must be so excited to finally be sitting on him! He's a beauty.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks MBP, he has shot up since going to the breakers and has gone bum high again, still with no wither so I think I'll get another good inch out of him yet.

Survived those dreaded third and forth rides, he was a little champ :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts