The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/finally-getting-answers-least-i-think-41911/

I have a tentative (tentative being 90% for sure, just barring a bone scan that the surgeon is confident will come back normal) OR date of Feb 1. Due to the risk of blood clots, my surgeon gave me two options as far as birth control goes: either go off of it now to give my body 2 months to clear it out, or have shots everyday for 2 weeks following the surgery.
My problem: First off, I'm absolutely terrified of needles. Also, I've been on birth control since I was 15 years old, I don't think I have ever taken a break - if I have, it was for less than a year. I am on continuous BC to try and control what my Gyn thinks is Endometriosis and PCOS - i.e. extremely painful abdominal/uterine pain.
My Gyn is out of town until the 18th (I have an appointment then) and I just booked an appointment with my family MD, but I am supposed to go off BC ... well, technically on Tuesday, to make the 2 month deadline, and even then I'm pushing it.
Can anyone give me some advice? Right now I'm leaning towards going off BC right now and consult with my family doc on Monday.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Unfortunatly I'm no help about what you should do... (Id pick the shots over the uterine pain myself if thats the case) but I just wanted to say good luck and I hope everything gets sorted out soon. *Sends lots of hugs and cookies*

·
Super Moderator
22,658 Posts
The only piece of advice that I can give is listen your family MD or somebody else with medical knowledge. It's pity that your gyn is out of town just now.

Personally I'd prefer shots especially if that BC helps you to handle with your womanly problems even a bit (what I've caught in your other topics is that these problems have been/are pretty severe too). On the other hand, as a phobist, I know that if you're really terrified of something it can mean that you really are terrified of it.

Good luck. Hope things solve out.

·
Registered
594 Posts
As somebody who has experienced a bursting cyst. Give me the shots!

But also speaking as somebody who has nearly had birth control in pill form kill her, I say be very careful about fluctuating your hormone level.

Honestly, though. If you've been on birth control for that long without a problem, I don't think your risk of clotting is very high.

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope everything gets sorted out soon. *Sends lots of hugs and cookies*
Thanks hun!! Mucho appreciado!

On the other hand, as a phobist, I know that if you're really terrified of something it can mean that you really are terrified of it.

Good luck. Hope things solve out.
Thanks! I am terrified of needles... so I'm not sure how well that would go over unfortunately.

As somebody who has experienced a bursting cyst. Give me the shots!

But also speaking as somebody who has nearly had birth control in pill form kill her, I say be very careful about fluctuating your hormone level.
Therein lies the problem. I had a cyst burst a year ago - one of the most painful things I've experienced, that's for sure. On the same side of the coin, I finally found a BC that I feel good on - I finally feel stable. I'm terrified to lose that. On the flip side ... I am absolutely needle phobic. I'm stuck!

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Does your surgeon know why you are on BC? Do they know you are totally needle phobic? Is there no option for you to get whatever it is that they want you to have via some other way (like orally) instead of the shots?

Having been on BC for a very long time and it being miserable when I stopped taking it I strongly suggest finding some way to deal with this with out just dumping the BC. (Obviously just my personal experience.)

Is there another doctor in the practice your GYN is in that you can talk to? At least they will have access to your whole file so you can discuss the situation with someone with all the details.

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does your surgeon know why you are on BC? Do they know you are totally needle phobic? Is there no option for you to get whatever it is that they want you to have via some other way (like orally) instead of the shots?

Having been on BC for a very long time and it being miserable when I stopped taking it I strongly suggest finding some way to deal with this with out just dumping the BC. (Obviously just my personal experience.)

Is there another doctor in the practice your GYN is in that you can talk to? At least they will have access to your whole file so you can discuss the situation with someone with all the details.
Thank you for your reply! I'll answer as best I can:
Silly me didn't even think twice about the situation until after I was done the appointment. I do have an appointment with my GP today, so I will see what he says about the BC and the needle phobia.
I went off BC on Thursday, just about as soon as I found out about the surgery and requirements. Friday I was in a ton amount of pain from starting menses, Saturday I spent most of the day on the couch as both my knee and uterus were hurting quite bad, and that night I was in tears a few times from cramps. Yesterday was a bit better, and *knock on wood* today is better still. I'm worried that being off BC is going to throw my entire body out of whack - I finally found a form of BC that didn't make me super emotional, and it seemed to be helping my chronic pain.
Unfortunately, it seems that my GYN's practice is very busy. I have to book a month in advance, and so far I've been bumped twice (I've been seeing him since June) because of his various trips.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
So sorry you are going thru all this!

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
*sigh*
I just came home from my GP's office. Not helpful one bit, other than kind of confirming, non-verbally, that I made the right choice... ish? I told him the options, told him my concerns, told him I was afraid of needles, and he said "guess you're going off BC then hey?"
I didn't get any pain meds for the *lovely* period I'm on, but I did come away with Ativan so I don't work myself into a lather before my injection on Thursday. What a pain in the rear end.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Oh my what a mess it seems. I can't imagine going through all of those things. The best thing I can say is stay calm and keep a positive mind. I'll say some prayers for ya and be thinking about you :). Just keep talking about it as well, sometimes venting helps calm the nerves.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Honestly Allie, I would stay on BC and take the shots. That's what I did with the 3 big surgeries I had. The blood thinners they give you to inject. You have to give yourself a shot in the belly every morning. I'll have pictures I can show you.

I'm going to be choosing that option with my next hip surgery because I much rather stay on BC and gie myself the injections but I am also used to needles(giving them at work and having been a patient myself way to many times).

To be honest with you tho Allie, knowing your fear of needles and me knowing what they are like from first hand experience, I wouldn't be choosing the injections. They are easy to do, but you get small hemotomas after each injection and the injection themselves can sting really badly. Like I said before, I'm used to it, but even as a healthcare professional, I absolutely hate them.

For you, as a lay person who already has a fear of needles, it's going to be heck. Just come off the BC.

i'll have pictures I can post later about the injections. Remind tonight if I dont come back to post them.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
If the injections are just blood thinners why can't they give you something oral? There are oral blood thinners.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts