The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
It isn't a curb chain that you need, its a bit hobble. Please do NOT put a curb chain on your twisted wire bit. That could cause extreme pain for your horse. Buy a bit hobble and use that. The only use for it should be to keep the bit from being pulled through your horse's mouth, and it shouldn't be tight whatsoever.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm not sure I even want to know what that is...why not a plain snaffle bit or a french link? Harsh bits cause harsh mouths. Just saying...

·
Registered
941 Posts
we have a couple that go in various twisted wire bits..... they are only as harsh as the hands that run them..... you could put a piece of rebar in a horses mouth and not do them any harm.

To the OP, if you want to put a curb on your twisted wire, I'd say go with a leather curb and put the reins between the bridle and curb.

Jim

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
we have a couple that go in various twisted wire bits..... they are only as harsh as the hands that run them..... you could put a piece of rebar in a horses mouth and not do them any harm.

To the OP, if you want to put a curb on your twisted wire, I'd say go with a leather curb and put the reins between the bridle and curb.

Jim
actually on a snaffle bit set up the reins go behind the chin strap.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: smrobs

·
Registered
941 Posts
I thought I read that the OP just wanted to use the curb as a "keeper" in which case under the reins wouldn't apply any pressure.....

Jim

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
I thought I read that the OP just wanted to use the curb as a "keeper" in which case under the reins wouldn't apply any pressure.....

Jim
True, that is all the chin strap does on a snaffle since the snaffle is not a leverage bit. If you put the chin strap behind the reins on a snaffle the chin strap interferes with the reins. When the chin strap goes in front of the reins it stays out of the way and it does it's job of just keeping the rings pulled through the mouth :)

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I agree with the consensus that a twisted bit is probably not the best bit for you, given your inexperience

Anyway, with a loose ring bit, you do need to have a bit hobble on there and it shouldn't be made of chain as that would be too harsh. The hobble goes on the bit between the mouthpiece and the reins and should be relatively loose.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
got any pictures of which way the snaffle should fold in a horses mouth

took me a long long time (2 weeks) to figure that one out because no one tells you how they are supposed to fold inside a horses mouth

mine was curved and linked to the ring and to each other where when you folded it inward and outward you could see the different angles that resulted

folded in one way and the ends attached to the ring would touch each other making an oval

folded in the other direction and the ends attached to the rings would not touch each other and made more of a V

so -- i finally found that if you are standing face to face with the horse, putting the bit in it's mouth, and fold it away from you --- the bit should make an oval shape instead of the V shape.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I'm not a fan of Kimberwickes at all, a plain snaffle is much nicer. Kimberwickes can give very confusing aides/commands to your horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Wallaby
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.