The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :) Not 100% on where to put this .. but ...

Cowboy is awesome :p He is doing pretty good in a Hunter Dee ring, but sometimes his turning/stoping isn't quite what it should be. I've found out he loves full cheek snaffles, and I'm thinking of investing in one. Perferablly a full cheek copper/steel roller from Dover -
Copper/Steel Roller Full Cheek Bit | Dover Saddlery

This is the exact bit he is in now -
Hunter Dee Ring Snaffle Bit | Dover Saddlery

Will this improve my control of him without increasing the pain? I just want a little more umph, and I'm hoping this will get er dun ^.^

Thanks!

· Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just read my post and realized I forgot my question v.v FAIL.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? To change him to this bit? Any bit suggestions? Any bits you've had success with? ( Don't suggest Myler, Stubben, etc. :p I know they work AWESOME, I just cant afford them :3)

· Registered
109 Posts
I would assume by your screen name you jump, but do you jump with this horse? Why do you want the roller? Does he have a 'hard' jaw? If you need a stronger bit, you could try a slow twist. This is not painful when used properly, but is strong enough to navigate jumps at canter w/o being ignored. Totally depends on the horse though. You could stick with dee or full cheek with slow twist. You will have to adjust your hand depending on his reaction as not to over do the slow twist, but otherwise it will not be more 'pain.' Thats the point - to adjust to different horses' sensitivites and training without having to use much pressure. In theory anyways :) What do you mean by he loves the full cheek bit? Does he go better and respond better? Don't forget that the world of horse bits (english or western) are SO full of fads that its often not as confusing as it looks to find something for your horse. It doesnt have to be anything that your friends use. Just consider: how much leverage does this give me, how comfortable does this look for my horse's mouth, and the more abrasive the more punch. A slow twist gives more abrasive but the full cheek and dee ring are little on leverage and do not look unappleaing to have in your horses mouth and dont look like they can be easily overdone. If he responds well enough, you can take your bit down. Not all horses can ride around in an eggbutt but its something to strive for!

· Registered
678 Posts
dee vs full cheek, unless he opens his mouth very very wide you'll barely notice any difference. he might like the feeling of the copper rollers, but that doesn't mean he'll respond any better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.