The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get myself a bitless bridle (I've been riding in bridle with a bit and in my halter interchangeably, plus my trainer is big with natural horsemanship and encourages her students to get bitless bridles) so my question is where I can get one cheap? Most of the money I make working at the barn goes for my horses board and all the bridles I've seen so far cost at least a hundred...are there any good, cheap brands you would reccomend? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Does your horse go well in a bridle and bit? If it ain't broke don't fix it! There has been a lot of threads on the forum, two very recently, about this topic and bitless ISNT always better.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I agree with SlideStop, if your horse is going well in a bit and you aren’t doing anything untoward or nasty with the bit, then why change it, it will likely mean at least a partial re-train.
I guess, then again, if your trainer is willing to teach you something properly (that being the key part of the equasion), it couldn’t hurt to give it a go.

Just an aside (and I don’t expect you to have the answers), but why is there always this assumption that Natural Horsemanship means no bit?

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you want to get a bitless bridle, i would strongly recommend saving up and get a good one. I know they are not cheap but i do not recommend a cheap one. If you really don't want to spend a lot of money then i suggest looking for a used one :)

I love Nurtural bitless bridles, they have the circle X under the chin to prevent any pinching of the skin. Plus Zoe Brooks and Sherri are awesome to deal with and very helpful.

You can visit this website below if your in Canada or they sell them on ebay as well if your in US or from another country

Nurtural Bitless Bridle – The better bitless bridle

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
There are a lot of different types out there, perhaps your trainer could let you try out whatever ones she likes best? That would allow you to see how your horse reacts to it before investing the money.

IMO it doesn't really sound necessary, though. Riding in a halter can be just fine, especially in a controlled environment like an arena, and you can use the bit whenever you think you might need a little more control "just in case."

·
Registered
13,661 Posts

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I admittedly don't know much about bitless bridles, but I can say that "good" and "cheap" rarely go together unless you're purchasing used Dx

·
Registered
99 Posts
All my horses (3) go in Parelli natural hackamores. They are around $80 or so with reins and lead rope attached. They work WWII, last forever and you just put in the washing machine to clean them

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i found one with a lot of good reveiws for not too much... my horse does fine in his bit but my trainer recomended that i get a bitless bridle to see if it helps with some of the issues we are trying to fix.. thank you everyone!

·
Registered
573 Posts
I haven't used a lot of different bitless bridles, but watch out for your release. A lot of bitless bridles give a slower release from pressure that can confuse the horse, or cause frustration. I rode my old mare in a Dr. Cook, which has said problem, but rode with very loose contact, so it was never a real problem for me. Do your research!

Reactions: madyasmkey

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I use the Nurtural and it's pretty decent. I do think the pressure release is a bit slow, though. My half-Arab is very responsive, and she does toss her head if I have the reins shorter than she'd like. It's a delicate balance, but that could just be my girl and not the bridle. :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've bought an indian bosal, and for my horse it is absolutely perfect. I'm telling you just in case you didn't know they existed:

(pic is not mine)

It is good for me because my horse responds very well to pressure around the nose, whilst he doesn't really like the whole face pressure that dr.Cook bitless does.
It's probably not good for horses who don't like their nose pressured (and for sure other things I'm not thinking about now, it has downsides like everything).

Mine was a custom order and did cost around 40€, but I see that in the US you can find many of them for 15$ to 25$, and you can put it on a headstall that you already own.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I'm also wondering why you feel the need to change if your mare does well in a bit. Of course, it's great to play around and I believe that all horses should ride well with a bit and bitless, but you shouldn't feel pressured to buy new tack that isn't in your budget simply because your instructor is a bitless guru (I agree with other posters, NH doesn't always = bitless).

I absolutely hate most popular bitless bridles (Dr cooks, Nurtural, indian hackamores, etc) because of the complete lack of adequate release. Most average riders wouldn't notice, but it's a fact that the release is slow simply due to the design.

For that reason, when I ride bitless, I usually stick with a soft hackamore (rope halter with reins) or a bosal. However, a bosal can be very expensive and a rope halter doesn't have hardly any subtlety for training purposes. For all my training, I use a bit.

So, I'd strongly suggest that you look into buying a sidepull bridle. For all intents and purposes, they work the exact same as a snaffle bit but with the pressure on the nose instead of on the bars of the mouth. The pressure is simple and the cues are clear/easy to understand.

For training, I'd likely get one that has the potential to have a bit of bite on it. Hopefully you'd never need it, but if you ever did, it would be there.

Double rope sidepull (not great quality, but you won't find great quality for very cheap; should be perfectly functional)
Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Double Rope Side Pull

Or, you could go this direction and just get the sidepull without the bridle attachment. This one is attached to the bridle you already have and I'm sure she could make it in about any color you needed/wanted.
Side pull hackamore bridle attachment with by TiffanysBraidedTack

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.