The Horse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Our pony roots when transitioning into canter. We had him cheched by vet and saddle fitter but all good. I was advise to loom into a stronger bit to "give him manner" he is good with everything else on his current bit (french link). Any idea? If bit would help? Or some other tack could help? Rider is riding other pony and horse and taking regular lesson.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
Hi. Our pony roots when transitioning into canter. We had him cheched by vet and saddle fitter but all good. I was advise to loom into a stronger bit to "give him manner" he is good with everything else on his current bit (french link). Any idea? If bit would help? Or some other tack could help? Rider is riding other pony and horse and taking regular lesson.

Most of the time, issues like this are a TRAINING issue. Not a tack issue. I am glad you have had him checked by a vet. Did the vet also check his teeth?

If there is not a pain issue causing the behavior, then you have to TRAIN him not to root. Sure, a stronger bigger bit might temporarily fix the issue for a short time, but if nothing is changed with the riding/training, then the pony will learn to root in the stronger bigger bit too. And the problem will escalate and continue.

So if the rider is taking lessons, what did the trainer say to do? (Did they tell you to use a bigger bit?)

Reactions: Jolly101
1 - 2 of 2 Posts