Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so here is my predicament.
I own and am currently training a 5yr old 16.1hh Saddlebred Gelding for showjumping (I know its unusual but trust me its what he loves to do) and I want him to be completely comfortable. So as a result I am trying to find the perfect bit and bridle combo to ensure his satisfactory. Two things I know for sure is he hates snaffles (The breaking in the middle bothers him), and if he doesn't have a flash he sticks his tongue over the bit immediately. Don't criticize me for putting a flash on my horse. I am not an idiot and I know how to properly adjust and fit a flash noseband. I will never use hackamores, as they can do more damage than a bit. Yes I understand bits can cause severe injuries but once again I am not an idiot. I do not yank and pull on my horses mouth, he has a soft mouth and he is very responsive to the littlest aids. So my question is... What kind of bit/bridle combos would be suitable for a soft mouthed horse who sticks his tongue over the bit? I want to make sure my horse is comfortable and happy while we are working, it ensures more efficient results.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I'm not sure if there are any bit regulations for SJ like there are with Dressage, but I'd likely try something with a mild port in it. Every time I've had a horse that wanted to stick their tongue over the bit, that fixed them right up.

·
Super Moderator
15,201 Posts
Ported bit agree.
They make them in "broken mouth" style, a 3-piece joint if you want to try to use a "snaffle" direct rein approach of communication.
They also make a flat style 3-piece mouthed bit that stops the nutcracker action and that might make your horse happy...
Or they make a mullen mouth bit or actual straight bar bit with say eggbutt, d-rings so still "snaffle mouth" because it doesn't have shanks or indirect rein control to the mouth, poll pressure, curb action and such.
Straight bars are said to be one of the gentlest mouthpieces available...

Like everything else, the hands guiding the horse have much to do with gentle or harsh in a bit in the animals body.

Have you considered instead of a drop noseband to keep the tongue from slipping over the mouthpiece attaching the "rubber bit port" or even tying the tongue as they do to Thoroughbreds...
That tongue tying is done for a variety of reasons...slipping over the bit is one. It needs done carefully though...

Just some ideas....
Below are some links to Dover Saddlery. They have a extensive bit selection although there are many more to choose from available on the market...
here is a link to English Ported Bits...Double-Jointed bits... French-Link bits...
Dover Saddlery - Search Results for ported bits
Horse Bits | Dover Saddlery
Horse Bits | Dover Saddlery

Hope you find what makes your horse happiest and you too.

:wink:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know there are definitely regulations against tongue tying. When I got him he was in a full cheek cork screw snaffle with his tongue tied and a flash along with a German martingale. There was just no need for all of that.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Are you wanting to stick with a regular type snaffle (as opposed to a leverage bit with true shanks) or would you be open to something like a Kimberwick?

·
Registered
198 Posts
My saddlebred/thoroughbred cross mare has a very sensitive mouth with a large tongue and low pallet. I usually ride her in either a side pull or a full cheek, french link snaffle. She likes both equally and behaves very well in them: nice head set, no flinging of the head, no bolting, great stops with my seat only ect. Before she wanted nothing to do with normal snaffles, low ports, or mullen mouths and would bolt, take them in between her teeth (yes I had the bridle adjusted correctly), head flinging and would fight me with any kind of cues I was giving her.
She also LOVES jumping and we are getting ready for show jumping this season :)

·
Premium Member
13,268 Posts
I don't know if it is legal for show jumping, but my horse likes bits with rollers. Perhaps something like these would give your horse incentive to play with the roller instead of getting his tongue over the bit:

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's an odd reason to not like a hackamore. If you use it right a good english hackamore can be a fabulous (and soft) tool for a horse like this. Otherwise - try a Nathe.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've actually been eyeing a couple of myler bits and others like it. What bridles do you guys recommend as well? It's hard to fit him because his head is the length of a horse but his nose band area is too narrow for a full size nose band.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.