The Horse Forum banner

Bits

1253 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  corporate pride
I'm sure this has probably been posted and discussed a hundred times on here...

I have a 4-year-old off the track Thoroughbred gelding, I got him around June of last year. I have mostly been riding him with a run of the mill D-Ring Snaffle, but he acts like he can't even feel the bit in his mouth, actually I think I have better luck riding him in a halter and lead rope lol! Anyway, I was wondering what legal, lower level Dressage bit I could use to get a little more control over him. I was also wondering if anyone had ever used the training snaffles with the keys in the center, and if they were legal in lower level tests? Or maybe the happy mouth bits?

I've rode him in a Kimberwick a couple of time, but I feel like that bit is just way too much bit for him, he's not a wild horse, he's really lazy, and there really isn't a reason to use it except it's the only strong bit I have and if he decided to run away with me, I'm not sure I could stop him in the D-ring. I don't make a habit out of riding him with the Kimberwick. He definitely responds well too it and really gets "round" when I ride him with it, but it just seems too harsh, especially since he's still, technically, a baby.

Thanks for your help :D
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I could ride him with the Kimberwick all the time, he just does so well in it, but it's not legal in lower level dressage, I don't know if it's legal in any dressage tests come to think of it.

I love riding him in a halter in lead rope, but again, I don't think I could get away with that at a show hahaha!

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We had an OTTB at school, and they used a snaffle with the keys in the center for him to play with, I was thinking about trying that. Then maybe he'll like the bit a little more. I don't know anything about a 6 month cool down period, he's been pretty good from the beginning, although I think his actually race record, is pretty short, 5 races at most maybe...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.