The Horse Forum banner

Bits?

3201 Views 20 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Horseychick94
Are these bits the same? I just don't want to dish out a bunch of $$ when I can get the same thing for cheaper:roll:

Mikmar Cupreon D-Ring Snaffle Bit with Ergom Lozenge - Dover Saddlery.

Coronet Cyprium with Oval Link Dee Bit - 5" Dee Ring Bits English HorseLoverZ.com

Thanks!:mrgreen:
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
16,650 Posts
Very possible. There are very few companies actually making bits. Other companies will buy bits and put their names on it. other companies may be buying the same bits and marketing them. Only companies who have patented a certain design will have exclusive access to certain bits. Just remember, patents have a certain life and they do expire. Then anyone can copy them.

Without a close inspection, I would not be able to tell if they are the same, in this instance.

· Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very possible. There are very few companies actually making bits. Other companies will buy bits and put their names on it. other companies may be buying the same bits and marketing them. Only companies who have patented a certain design will have exclusive access to certain bits. Just remember, patents have a certain life and they do expire. Then anyone can copy them.

Without a close inspection, I would not be able to tell if they are the same, in this instance.
Wow! I never knew that! Thanks!:D

· Registered
23,909 Posts
They look the same shape-wise, but I'm pretty positive the material they are made of is different. Actually Mikmar material is very distinctive color if you go to the store and compare it against other bits. I use very similar Mikmar Cupreon Eggbutt Snaffle Bit with Ergom Lozenge - Dover Saddlery. on my qh and she preferred it to all I tried (like 5-7 different ones).

· Registered
23,909 Posts
I am such a tightwad lol. I REALLY do not want to pay THAT much for a bit. I have a hard time buying a bit for $30 lol
Yeah, I know what you feel. :) I started with the $30 bit (Albacon), and later on went to the more expensive one. I did learn though you really get what you pay for (I guess the taste is better? not sure why it's more preferable for the horse). However, if $30 bit works for you why not? There is no point of moving to more expensive one.

· Registered
459 Posts
I tend to agree with the thickness comment. It's really hard to tell because of the positioning of the Coronet bit, but I think the Mikmar is thicker in general.

The biggest thing I notice between these two bits is that the oval link sits vertical on one bit, and horizontal on the other bit.

· Registered
23,909 Posts

· Registered
23,909 Posts
This is the type of bit I want but he needs to salivate more. He has a copper bit already so IDK
Now I'm confused. The cupreon in Mikmar is copper as well. Why do you want to change then?

· Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now I'm confused. The cupreon in Mikmar is copper as well. Why do you want to change then?
His bit has a copper ball that he plays with and it puts too much localized pressure on his tongue. The mix of metals in the mikmar is supposed to make them salivate more. I was wondering if the mikmar and the coronet had a similar mix of metals

· Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

· Registered
23,909 Posts
His bit has a copper ball that he plays with and it puts too much localized pressure on his tongue. The mix of metals in the mikmar is supposed to make them salivate more. I was wondering if the mikmar and the coronet had a similar mix of metals
I'm not very positive it's a case. :) Also I think mikmar and coronet probably have different mix, BUT the copper is the main ingredient in both. If you are really tight on money, I'd just go with the coronet. Or keep eye on used mikmar on eBay (although I couldn't find one personally while back).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.