The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with the Black Country GDP saddle? I am working with a fitter and this is one saddle that she thinks will work for my mare, but I am hesitant to purchase since it is a general purpose saddle. Growing up all purpose/general purpose = no purpose. Unfortunately, she does not have a demo for me to try. We attempt to ride dressage. :)

My mare has a very short curvy back and takes a specific type of saddle I am told.

The Takt TSD-37 worked really well on her, and miss mare loved the saddle. The problem here is I need an 18" and since there is not a demo available in the 18" we are afraid it will be too long for my mare's back. The 17.5" was a little tight for me and I am not sure if I want to spend that much money on a saddle that I may or may not get use to. This saddle is approximately $1000 more than the Black Country GDP.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
'All purpose = no purpose' is one of those buzz phrases coined by someone who had no real idea what they were talking about, unfortunately pretty common in the horse world.

I've no experience of this saddle, sorry, but it's basically a straight-cut GP, commonly called a VSD (Very Silly Description, or Very Slightly Dressage, maybe?). I think it's actually a German acronym, but no idea of what.

Nice mare - longish neck, short back, bit of a curve but I'd have said not excessive. Looking at the tree shape it ought to work fine. Never heard of Takt so I looked them up. Not that much real info on the web page but that model has a much deeper seat than the GPD. I wouldn't buy one because I'd hate that locked-in feeling, but lots of riders do.

Best of luck :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! The fitter was out today and she had a wide tree in the Takt saddle, which made a big difference in the rise of the pommel for me. My mare was very clear that the Takt was the saddle she liked. Everything else she was tense and quick in, but the Takt she was relaxed and slower legged (not normal for her), she even cantered calmly which never happens.

I am interested in the GDP because I do like the idea of an open seat and I like the price tag better, but I think I am going to go with the Takt since I can't try the GDP before purchase and Miss Mare seems to have a very definite idea of what she likes.

We get to keep the demo saddle for a little bit, so my fingers are crossed that this is the one. If it isn't I will try and find a GDP to try. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.