The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very light coloured palomino and I was wondering which would be better, black or brown tack? I recently got a black saddle and I have never tried any brown tack on him before. I am just asking for the future to see which would suit him best? Any thoughts would be muchly appreciated!
Theseis a photos are of his colour.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I don't think it matters, as they both "read" similarly, visually, especially if the brown is dark (usual in english tack). Black will make a bit more of a contrast, brown is a warmer look.

Black is traditional in dressage; brown is traditional in other english disciplines. Mixing colors is avoided. But that is all just for competition. If you aren't competing it doesn't matter.

·
Super Moderator
11,964 Posts
As Avna said black is traditional for dressage but if competing in low levels in Eventing then any suitable saddle in brown or black. Other disciplines it would likely be the same. My preference on a palomino would be a medium dark warm reddish brown. While I do ride at home in mismatched tack when working out sizing and bit preference I have matching sets because it just looks better - more finished and not thrown together. Bottom line is you ride in what you have that works for that horse and if you are going to compete you put effort into coordinating your gear you will show in.

This is an old thread. Not for replies but if you aren't showing then non traditional colors could be fun.

·
Super Moderator
14,113 Posts
On a Palomino I would not do black if possible to avoid it.
Browns, and rich deep colors to make the features of the animal pop.
I also would not do wide and padded width tack on that sculpted face as you've shown other pictures of your horse I've seen before.
The less "straps" to me the better way to enhance and show her beauty.

If you are riding dressage, then those saddles are black and then it is customary to do black or very dark brown bridle to "match" the saddle. You are trying to coordinate boot, jacket and often glove color of the rider if possible in the lower levels of competition.

Brown tack is commonly seen in H/J show ring...
Black is dressage oriented.
Combined or cross-country...looking at brown more than black...just look at pictures of those disciplines to see the trends.
🐴...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would go for a brown tack, but (for me at least) it's difficult to get the same tint of brown. Like sometimes it's warmer or a bit darker.
if you wanna go for a good look: brown
If you want an easy way out: black

·
Registered
357 Posts
Me personally, I would go with black. Interesting side note, in dressage your tack does not have to match--even at competitive shows. You can ride in a brown saddle and black bridle or vice versa.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts