The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a buckskin mare I got a few weeks ago and she had a little of these but now there are more.. Can someone tell wat it is? Are they bug bites?
20210607_161411.jpg
20210607_161411.jpg
20210607_161411.jpg

·
Registered
508 Posts
I’m concerned about the raw, red spots. It could be a bacterial or fungal infection. I believe it warrants a visit from the vet.

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
It's hard to tell from the picture. It looks like it could be an injury such as a bite or a scrape, but it also looks like it could be rain rot that has been picked at or scratched until raw, or some type of fungal infection. Have you scrubbed it or treated it with anything?

·
Super Moderator
14,710 Posts
WELCOME to the Forum!!

Some of those look nasty.....

Did she come through a sale barn? A kill-pen rescue or auction??
The comment you only just got the mare immediately makes me think fungal or bacterial infection occurring.
Rain rot, rain scald, ringworm, or something along those lines as it is spreading now when she is by herself is not good.
She needs seen by a vet to properly diagnose those "spots" so the correct treatment and possibly antibiotic is administered to control and more importantly stop the spread of that before the entire horse gets covered.
Some of those "spots" look to be pus harboring and pus is a indicator of infection = vet time needed.
The "spots" appear to be on the sides of the neck, shoulders and then further guessing along the body can be many things, hence she needs seen, truly.

In the meantime..
All her brushes and anything she wears/uses does not touch another horse.
All her brushes need washed in hot soapy water with bacteria killing agents..like a betadine added wash.
Saddle pads, if she has worn a blanket or sheet...anything that touched her since you noticed the emerging of these marks now needs washed till you know positively from the vet that she is not contagious to herself or others...
Your tack needs a good cleaning now too and again once she is treated everything gets washed and allowed to air dry thoroughly to lessen organisms of reinfecting the horse.
Being pro-active in keeping her equipment clean also is good practice to reduce chances of infecting from many possible sources.

If she is turned out with other horses...
I would be careful about that as some ailments are contagious and can go through a entire barn infecting many...I would not want to be the one with the infecting horse.:cautious:
🐴...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's hard to tell from the picture. It looks like it could be an injury such as a bite or a scrape, but it also looks like it could be rain rot that has been picked at or scratched until raw, or some type of fungal infection. Have you scrubbed it or treated it with anything?
It's on her hip and I don't think it's rain rote cuz I haven't had any blanket or anything on her and the people I got her from said she's never had it b4... I think it might be ring worm

·
Super Moderator
14,710 Posts
You don't need the horse in blankets for rain rot/rain scald to happen...that is a false...

Rain rot, also called rain scald or dermatophilosis, is a skin infection caused by a bacterium known as Dermatophilus congolensis. Living on the horse's skin, D. congolensis is mostly dormant, but under wet conditions, this bacterium can cause an inflammatory infection resulting in lesions along your horse's skin.
The pictures show she lives in the conditions possible for the organism bad to thrive...
Reading that link will give you some factual information to then look again at your horse critically and with a new appreciation for what it might be or might not be...;)
🐴

1 - 7 of 7 Posts