Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have recently heard about black stirrups, such as the carbon or black metal ones, being banned in the eq ring, a new USEF rule coming into play today or in 2014 (I think it is today, I know it is for 2014). I am asking for those black stirrups for Christmas because I reaally want some and I like them as far as looks, and they are said to be lighter than regular Fillis irons. However, when I start showing again, which will hopefully be sometime soon (schooling shows only), that will be a problem.

I am aware that at rated shows the black stirrups will not be allowed in eq classes, but what about at schooling shows? I'm switching barns but hopefully staying in hunters/equitation and only doing schooling/local shows for now, so will I be able to use the black stirrups in my eq classes (at the local shows)?
Thank you!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hmm interesting, I'll have to keep an eye on that because I think the new stirrups I ordered were black. They might possibly have been silver with black rubber flex covers... no idea tbh >.>

It depends on the schooling show. Some of them will still follow USEF rules even though it isn't "rated." Some will use them more like guidelines. It just depends on the judge. I had one who didn't like the bit I used or the fact I had a breastplate. The next judge, at the same show, didn't seem to mind.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Yes, as of today, black stirrups are not allowed. It is too difficult to see the foot/stirrup placement in the show ring. Oh, well.....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I would call the management of the shows you want to do to ask. Or ask your instructor if you have one. Our local show association follows USEF rules pretty closely so I don't allow black stirrups for my eq students. I don't really get the appeal anyways. I've never heard anyone say their riding improved with them. I went through a hinged stirrup phase, but these days I prefer a strong heavy traditional stirrup.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Even on a western saddle I prefer a heavier stirrup to the light weight Ralide. They just hang better and are easier to find if a stirrup is dropped. Same with English.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
If the weight of your stirrups won't affect your riding, then I'd do as you please as far as schooling goes. Have all the fun you want with them! Just keep your regular silver fillis irons around for show time!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Seriously? I use the Sprenger stirrups that have the black rubber at the base. They help with the arthritis in my knees. I don't show hunters, but now you've got me curious. I'll have to check up and see if they are allowed at dressage shows.

150 Posts
Well...good thing I haven't ordered any black stirrups. I guess I sort of knew black wasn't the norm, but I didn't know it was a rule now. My old trainer has the MDC flexible stirrups on a saddle she was letting me use. I have never loved a stirrup so much. I wanted the black ones..guess I'll get silver since some day I would like to give equitation a go. Personally, I hate the light carbon or plastic or whatever stirrups so that doesn't bother me, but the black metal ones are so sharp looking.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
What! NOooo!
I love my light weight stirrups!!! They are black carbon fiber, flexible, and have metal cheese grater tread for your foot. Made the tension on my ankles and knees way better! I was doing killer in the EQ ring with these.
I guess I'll just have to SPRAY PAINT THEM SILVER! Genius! (They were free anyway, don't you just love horse show banquets!)
:)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seriously? I use the Sprenger stirrups that have the black rubber at the base. They help with the arthritis in my knees. I don't show hunters, but now you've got me curious. I'll have to check up and see if they are allowed at dressage shows.
I don't think the restriction is banning the Sprenger stirrups or the ones with the black rubber on the bottom/sides, just the ones that are all black-like the carbon fiber/black metal ones:)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Just popping in to say I saw a rider be DQ'd just the weekend before last because his stirrup irons were totally black. Sides and everything, which made seeing his irons (not sure if they were actually metal or not) from across the ring impossible. I'm new to hunters and English eq but I can see how a judge would have a hard time seeing if a riders foot was at a good place within the stirrup with these.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Just popping in to say I saw a rider be DQ'd just the weekend before last because his stirrup irons were totally black. Sides and everything, which made seeing his irons (not sure if they were actually metal or not) from across the ring impossible. I'm new to hunters and English eq but I can see how a judge would have a hard time seeing if a riders foot was at a good place within the stirrup with these.
Posted via Mobile Device
It seems like it would be pretty much impossible unless you're right on them. Black stirrup + black boot = invisible!

Even the ones with the black rubber joints still have silver above to see, so it should be fine.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I like how light weight they are, but not surprised at the least that they're banned. Especially for equitation.

Unlike most, many people will use a black stirrup in their favor to appear to have a "steadier" leg/foot than they really do. IMO. Per usual, it's no surprise. Only takes a few to use it negatively and ruins it for the rest of us :p

I have a set that I got for Christmas that have blue accents for XC, haven't used them yet, but I love how lightweight they are.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I like how light weight they are, but not surprised at the least that they're banned. Especially for equitation.

Unlike most, many people will use a black stirrup in their favor to appear to have a "steadier" leg/foot than they really do. IMO. Per usual, it's no surprise. Only takes a few to use it negatively and ruins it for the rest of us :p

I have a set that I got for Christmas that have blue accents for XC, haven't used them yet, but I love how lightweight they are.
Those that use the black stirrups just because they like the look or feel of it would have that advantage too, though. It's not like someone would need to be deliberately using them negatively for them to receive the benefit. Kind of like black gloves in lower level dressage. They say that wearing white gloves emphasizes any hand movement, but I wear them because I don't like the idea of white gloves :lol:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Those that use the black stirrups just because they like the look or feel of it would have that advantage too, though. It's not like someone would need to be deliberately using them negatively for them to receive the benefit. Kind of like black gloves in lower level dressage. They say that wearing white gloves emphasizes any hand movement, but I wear them because I don't like the idea of white gloves :lol:
Yeah... I don't think I could use white gloves :lol: I have quiet hands, but I am notorious for not being able to stay clean...

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
It seems like it would be pretty much impossible unless you're right on them. Black stirrup + black boot = invisible!

Even the ones with the black rubber joints still have silver above to see, so it should be fine.

Maybe they should ban black boots: everybody rides in black stirrups, but uses sparkly silver boots!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
No one used it negatively and ruined it for you.
Simply, a black stirrup makes it hard for a judge to see if a rider lost their stirrup. Because of that, black stirrups are no longer allowed in Equitation classes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.