The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is very random but can horses eat blackberries? There’s a patch of blackberries growing in their pasture and I’m not going to try and uproot them and cut my hands unless I have to. I also have a bag of blackberries with me and they’re begging me to let them try it. I don’t want them to colic or get sick.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes, horses can eat blackberries, like any treat, in moderation. They are actually good for them; they contain antioxidants.

Horses are usually pretty careful and will not eat sticklers. However, if they are going for a treat or are not paying attention, they may get stuck and/or cut on the spines. If those spines break off and stay embedded in your horse's mouth, that could be problematic.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Yes blackberries are fine our horse's eat them. They also like raspberries. They'll eat the plant and all the little thorns don't seem to bother them.

But they eat stinging nettle both horse's love it, so go figure.

·
Super Moderator
13,675 Posts
My horses eat blackberries and no adverse effects that I detect...
They pick only the ripe ones too and leave me to scrounge for the leftovers...
I could do without the thorns in my fingers embedded...they really hurt!! :evil:

:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
355 Posts
One time when we were out trail riding we came across a huge blackberry bush loaded with berries so we dismounted and started picking some to eat. Then my arab reached over and very nimbly picked his own, eating them right off the vine--only the berries--no stickers. And of course he went for all the big ones before I could reach them. :D He was fine, no tummy upset.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts