The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my pony in the rain sheet I bought for her last winter.

As you can see, the neck opening is too large and sinks below her withers with the neck straps on the tightest buckle setting.
I had this problem with another arab of similar build. Wide barrels, so a smaller size blanket gets too short.

I worry about a higher neck style rubbing her mane because it is the best mane I've ever had on a horse. So I'm vain about it.

I've tried the adjusta fit neck from Schneiders on the other mare, but the velcro straps created a gap where the rain came in if shortened.

Any suggestions on a style or brand of waterproof sheet that might work for this anatomy? Pony sized, she is 13 hands.

· Registered
9,604 Posts
Izzy has this same problem, being very narrow across the chest but wide barreled. She is miserable when water runs down her chest. I’ve tried several different brands and none completely eliminate it, but I’ve found Horsewear Amigo Bravo work well. That said, there is still gapping, so on very wet days I also use the neck attachment. It does rub her mane pretty badly by the end of the winter, but I guess I don’t really care about that. She wears a 69”, and I think their smallest size is a 66” so they might not work. I don’t know much about pony blanket options.

· Premium Member
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Izzy has this same problem, being very narrow across the chest but wide barreled. She is miserable when water runs down her chest. I’ve tried several different brands and none completely eliminate it, but I’ve found Horsewear Amigo Bravo work well. That said, there is still gapping, so on very wet days I also use the neck attachment. It does rub her mane pretty badly by the end of the winter, but I guess I don’t really care about that. She wears a 69”, and I think their smallest size is a 66” so they might not work. I don’t know much about pony blanket options.
Thanks for the info! Those go all the way down to 45 inches I see on Just for Ponies website, so I will give one a try.

· Registered
10 Posts

As you can see, the neck opening is too large and sinks below her withers with the neck straps on the tightest buckle setting.
I had this problem with another arab of similar build. Wide barrels, so a smaller size blanket gets too short.

I worry about a higher neck style rubbing her mane because it is the best mane I've ever had on a horse. So I'm vain about it.

I've tried the adjusta fit neck from Schneiders on the other mare, but the velcro straps created a gap where the rain came in if shortened.

Any suggestions on a style or brand of waterproof sheet that might work for this anatomy? Pony sized, she is 13 hands.

· Registered
10 Posts
Beautiful pony!! That sheet looks a bit too big - the seam for the tail flap is hanging low. If it were a size smaller it would be held forward more by the chest buckles. I have a couple that ride back and I'm always pulling them forward, wishing they were one or two inches shorter.

· Registered
752 Posts
My KMH has several blankets and all have the higher neck style. None of them have rubbed out any of his mane cause they all have smooth nylon inside. In fact all the horses at that barn use a higher neck blanket and none of them have had any problem with the manes. We don't use the really high ones though--just over the withers so it doesn't bind when they lower their head.

Wheelbarrow Horse Plant Working animal Tree

Just wanted to add that I was still using an old turnout rug for my paso last winter that had the same neck problem as the one in your photo and it gave him a nasty sore from rubbing on his withers. The blanket binding put too much pressure there every time he put his head down to eat. And it was only on him for maybe a couple weeks.

· Registered
3,511 Posts
Tough 1 has a blanket that might work. Here's a picture . Used this blanket on cinder who has same issues with neck gapping open. There a crisscross belly strap blanket also like this. Actually a pretty nice blanket for the brand it is.
Horse Outerwear Sky Working animal Horse tack

· Premium Member
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Beautiful pony!! That sheet looks a bit too big - the seam for the tail flap is hanging low. If it were a size smaller it would be held forward more by the chest buckles. I have a couple that ride back and I'm always pulling them forward, wishing they were one or two inches shorter.
Right, that is what I mean about it being too short...a size that is the right length doesn't go down long enough on the sides (in the model shown). So it's either neck gapping or mini skirt.

@pasomountain, yes, I was worried about that pressure so left the blanket off quite a bit last winter. It wasn't as rainy or cold as it sometimes is, so it worked out. But I want to be better prepared this year.

@rambo99, thanks, I will check that blanket out too!

· Registered
9,604 Posts
@egrogan, do the Amigo Bravo blankets stay in place without leg straps? It sounds like they only have a tail strap.
I haven’t had any problems with slipping and have really come to prefer the tail strap to leg straps in terms of ease of on/off.

That said, I also sewed in d-rings on the underside of a blanket to allow the use of leg straps (they can attach where the tail strap connects on either side). This is because Izzy can have…messy…poop in the winter and the #1 downside to the tail strap is that it can collect poop that hits it and turn into a frozen mess.

· Registered
17,000 Posts
Right, that is what I mean about it being too short...a size that is the right length doesn't go down long enough on the sides (in the model shown). So it's either neck gapping or mini skirt.
I just thought of something, not a cheap solution necessarily but it could maybe sort out the fit problem. Use a blanket liner with the V Free neck, so you don't have the pressure on the withers, it's not as long as a turnout but cuts some of the fit issues. Add a Turn out on top and it can cut into the withers or neck even if it's not perfect, but it will give you the longer 'skirts'.

Here's one they have at Schneider's for ponies: Pony V Free Blanket & Pony Turnout

I've had good luck with that turnout on my foals that were pony sized. It's fairly sturdy even though it's not the heaviest of fabrics. I still have one in stock and I know I bought my last one when Twoey was still a youngster, so 2016 or 2017?

· Premium Member
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just thought of something, not a cheap solution necessarily but it could maybe sort out the fit problem. Use a blanket liner with the V Free neck, so you don't have the pressure on the withers, it's not as long as a turnout but cuts some of the fit issues. Add a Turn out on top and it can cut into the withers or neck even if it's not perfect, but it will give you the longer 'skirts'.

Here's one they have at Schneider's for ponies: Pony V Free Blanket & Pony Turnout

I've had good luck with that turnout on my foals that were pony sized. It's fairly sturdy even though it's not the heaviest of fabrics. I still have one in stock and I know I bought my last one when Twoey was still a youngster, so 2016 or 2017?
I like your suggestion, but we really can only use rainsheets on the coast here. The winter temps rarely get below freezing, and if it does freeze it is dry and warm enough horses don't need blankets.

If it rains for days straight or gets windy and the temps are in the 40s, we need the wind and water protection to prevent chill and rain rot.

· Registered
2013 Andalusian Gelding
81 Posts

I see some others have recommended going for a smaller size with a belly band and I totally agree! I've always had great luck with the cheap ones on sstack.com and they hold up really well!

· Registered
17,000 Posts
I like your suggestion, but we really can only use rainsheets on the coast here. The winter temps rarely get below freezing, and if it does freeze it is dry and warm enough horses don't need blankets.

If it rains for days straight or gets windy and the temps are in the 40s, we need the wind and water protection to prevent chill and rain rot.
I didn't realize you were in such a warm location, lucky ducky!

· Registered
10 Posts

@pasomountain, yes, I was worried about that pressure so left the blanket off quite a bit last winter. It wasn't as rainy or cold as it sometimes is, so it worked out. But I want to be better prepared this year.

@rambo99, thanks, I will check that blanket out too!
that's what I say about my Arab mare also, that her blankets look like mini skirts! I did find a nice Schneiders rain sheet that fits ok. She's a 69.

· Registered
17,834 Posts
My mare has a Tough-1 higher neck blanket, which I love. It doesn't sit right up on the withers, so I like it better - not the best photo cause her mane was on the other side, lol. but you can see it keeps her warm and it doesn't seem to rub against the mane because it doesn't go up TOO high.

Sky Horse Working animal Liver Grass

1 - 20 of 20 Posts