The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lacey ripped her blanket again. >.< But this time she didn't just rip the outer layer, she ripped all three layers: the outside stuff, the fill stuff and the inner lining.
I figured out how she doing it though which I guess is good. There are some low trees in her field that are evidently catching on her blanket and ripping it. >.<

But anyway, how should I fix that? I'm thinking maybe just patch the inner layer with a patch on the inside, sew the fill back together and patch the outer layer with a patch on the inside, then sew it all back together... Does that sound good to you guys? Obviously I'll need to waterproof that area again...

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
How the fill looks like? Fabric or some kind of puffy stuff? When Jemma's blanket was ripped by other horses (it was way back she was still a baby) we sew inside and sew outside, but I believe there was no fill in between.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the white fluffy stuff. =)
I put my plan into action last night because I need to get it back to her today since it's been super cold. It actually worked pretty well. I learned my lesson from last time though (I tried to sew it from the outside and the lighter inside fabric got all caught up so I had to undo ALL the stitching and do it again) so I pinned around the biggest patch then sewed inside the pins, from the inside of the blanket.

I'm going to be amazing at sewing blankets by the spring, I'm thinking. =P

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Hey, you can start fixing blankets for fee! :) We have like 2 or 3 people in area doing it, and I know they certainly have customers (it's cheaper to pay $20 then buy new one).

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good idea. I'll look into that! It wasn't all that hard either but I can definitely understand why people don't want to try themselves, especially if they don't have sewing skills.

I suppose, if I were to do that, tack stores would probably be a good place to put flyers?

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Oh, yes. Tack stores and local horse forums (if you have any, I find A LOT thru my local ones), craiglist is another good free place to post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.