The Horse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Dallas really needs a heavy blanket in the winter, I'm north and he has very little winter coat. Problem is it rubs his shoulders to there is a patch on each shoulder about the a little bigger than quarter that is littler with shorter hair. I'm rubbing show sheen on it now that I have notice it has begun rubbing to try to decrease rubbing. I need him to look good for shows. Any advice to grow the hair back quicker or stop the rubbing?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had the same problem I use the jammies shoulder guard and have never had that problem again!

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Same as above, get your pony a bra, and he'll no longer suffer from blanket rubs. =]

Also, you can get a different blanket that fits better. If the blanket is rubbing, it's usually because of the fit. It won't kill him to stay in what he has though, just a thought.

In the meantime, you can use MTG on the rubbed parts to help the hair grow.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks for the great advice! He has a slightly lighter blanket that doesn't rub and I'll try to get him shoulder guard. I have some MTG I'll put on the rubs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, I live in the UK and we use a neck protector, it's like a sash, that goes under rugs to stop rubbing, not sure if you can buy it over there. My mum used to sow sheepskin on the inside of the rug and keep moving forward, night and morning, hope this helps maree:grin:

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
All my horses have either shoulder guards or full body sleezys. Keep then from getting blanket rubs.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
hey sorry to hijack the thread, but what if jammies make it worse? Uma got blanket rubs and I put on some jammies and now they are worse!

·
Registered
125 Posts
My pony has the same problem. We use a shoulder guard. But at my barn we call them Wonder Bras:) it helps a lot.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Definitely get a neck and shoulder protector! My friends horse was eventually cut by her rug on her withers and has a white patch now.

When my pony had a grazing muzzle, it rubbed a bit in some places, and I was advised to use sudocrem. She HATED the smell, but it worked

·
Registered
95 Posts
I used to have the same problem. I used a shoulder sleezy, and it just rubbed her in a different spot. But there are 2 different kinds of sleezies. One goes in between their front legs and buckles around their withers, and the other just goes across their chest. (hard to describe) I used the latter one, and it rubbed her. You can put show sheen on their shoulders so the blanket can move easily across the shoulders, I did this, and it helped. You may have to get a different blanket bc like said before, every blanket fits differently. I unfortunetly ended up buying a different blanket!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
we call them anti rub vests here in NZ - I have one on my horse in winter (A padded cotton one and a slinky thin one in summer when she has her fly sheet on... No more rubs ;)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again everyone! I've changed his blanket to one that fits better, and put show sheen on his shoulders, it seems to be helping. Getting him a shoulder cover thing as soon as I can.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My horse is also suffering from some blanket rubs..she just looks silly...But I think the soon to come nice weather will fix it. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts