The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each winter I have been holding off on buying blankets for our two young horses and just fitting them in various spares that I have here.

I am hoping that the 2.5 year old Thoroughbred is just "close enough" to her mature size to buy her a blanket that she will keep for life (ooooor until she kills it).

She is going to end up being roughly the same size as her sire and I cannot for the life of me remember what I used to blanket him. The largest size that we have here is a 78" so he must have fit. He was 16.2hh/1200 pounds.

The filly is 16hh now and a 78" gives her a little room to grow and fill out but not a ton. I've got to imagine she is about as long as she will get though.

Wondering, what everyone elses 16-17hh horses are wearing?

(I have measured her, just trying to predict what size she'll end up at, not so much what she currently needs) :wink:

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
It also depends on who's blanket you are buying. Some are bang on, others not so. My qh is over 16hh and I took a chance on an 81. It's a tad big but ok. He meas. a little under 80. His rain sheet has the higher neck. The lower ones are inclined to bind at the withers.

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
My horses averaged 80" - 82" blankets and sheets.
Horses were around 15.2 - 16.2 hands....
My friends 15.2 OTTB wears a 78" Weatherbeeta stable blanket.

Think as was mentioned much will depend upon manufacturer and of course the bone structure, muscle and fat on each horse...

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
My 16.1 standie who is built like a tank wears a 74 Supra rain sheet, 72 weathabeeta fitted cooler(thats a bit snug) a 72 weatherbeeta winter stable blanket that fits fabulous and a 78 storm shield winter blanket... so... its really hard to say. She measures as a 76. But the 74 rain sheet is almost a smidgen big if anything. The 78 is a bit big but it allows me to put a stable blanket under it on super cold days.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
The size will probably change as she fills out, too. When I got my horse he was a touch underweight and measured 69" but by the next year when he was at a good weight he went up to a 72". He was 7 when I got him, so not like he was still growing, either!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

I feel like I would be on track just getting her an 80" blanket.

She measures 77" right now. Her dam is swimming in her 78" blanket, but she is 15.3hh and petite. The fillies uncle who is 15.3hh wears a 78" and her aunt who is a 16hh TB also wears a 78".

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
From the looks of the replies it looks like the correct answer is It Depends.....
Depends on the brand and style...Depends on the build of your horse. I would not think a 2.5 y.o. would wear the same size at maturity.

Reactions: Dakota23

·
Administrator
35,672 Posts
You might have to be prepared to buy to fit now and sell when she grows because a 'too big' blanket could end up rubbing her and slipping around too much
I have a 16.2 that needs an 80 and a 16.1 that needs a 76!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
No idea what it is in American measurements but my 16.2hh IDx is in a 6'9, sorry that's probably no help at all!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I agree with others that it varies too much to really predict. My 17hh mare wears an 84 but I also know a 15.2 or 15.3hh QH who wears the same size.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ I have measured her.

You might have to be prepared to buy to fit now and sell when she grows because a 'too big' blanket could end up rubbing her and slipping around too much I have a 16.2 that needs an 80 and a 16.1 that needs a 76!!

Oh I am prepared for that, if she needs a bigger size at age 4 then so be it :lol:

I own everything from a dog blanket, through mini, pony & small horse on up to a whole pile of 78" blankets that seem to fit most of the herd. Plus a large blanket for the drafty. So I have been REALLY fortunate to just now get into a pickle as these two grow. The 2 year old is no where near his mature size (half-draft) and fits a 78" currently but after that, I am out of 78" blankets because everyone needs one. So its time to buy the 2 & 1/2 year old her own.

Does anyone have any experience with the SStack blankets? (Looking at this one...)
I have always loved my WeatherBeeta blankets until it was time to purchase two new ones last year. The older ones that I have still hold up and look great. The two from last year were short and both ripped :/

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the SStack blankets? (Looking at this one...)
I have always loved my WeatherBeeta blankets until it was time to purchase two new ones last year. The older ones that I have still hold up and look great. The two from last year were short and both ripped :/
I got a Schneider's blanket for my horse last year and loved it. Not the same one you linked to, but a similar one also with a belly band. It was true to size, held up very well to being used all winter, and fit much better than his old blanket did (my horse has a very thick, low-set neck so finding a good fit was a challenge!)

Reactions: New_image

·
Administrator
35,672 Posts
I'm a convert to the Schneider blankets - they do offer different sizing relating to type in some blankets as well as just the length which can help get the right fit too.
I have found their midweight outdoor blankets compare to the Weatherbeeta heavyweight ones despite what the weight chart says
I like their bonus scheme as well - you get a cash back voucher every now and again relating to how much you spend with them

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
/
Thats the blanket that my 16.1 standie wears a 78 in. I love love love their blankets!!! I find them on par with Rambo/Horseware. Beautiful and well made and fit really well. I have the extra heavyweight with a hood.

·
Registered
997 Posts
16hh paint, 82" blanket
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 24 Posts