The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm bringing Jay to my house for the winter, and thus have the liberty to blanket him. Blankets are really expensive, and due to it not getting very cold (but still cold) where I live, there is no need for a heavy one. I was wondering if I could either use a turnout sheet or cooler, or possibly layer them for colder temperatures? My turnout sheet is a Tough-1 Wild 600D Turnout Sheet, and my cooler is woven like a (human) rug or a (human) blanket- I'll try to post pictures either this afternoon or tomorrow.

Could they possibly be put together in the cold, and separate when it is a little warmer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
The turnout sheet is fine. Don't ever turn a horse out with a cooler on. They aren't meant for turnout or even inside long-term blanketing.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Administrator
36,319 Posts
I know that people do this sort of thing but its not really ideal or comfortable for the horse. If you want to layer then its best to buy the liners that are designed to go underneath another blanket as they stay put better,
It is possible to buy reasonable blankets for not a lot of money and honestly I find its a lot easier to just throw on one blanket that's suitable for the temperature that day than it is to be fiddling around with two lots of buckles and clips
This company does a good quality liner - go for the closed front that you slip over the head if you're horse is OK with that as less risk of rubbing the chest that multiple fastenings can do
Horse Blanket Liners

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
Just curious: Why do you feel the need to blanket your horse in the first place?

Are you moving him from a southern climate to a northern climate?
Is he clipped?
Do you show or work him hard in the winter months?

What most people don't know is that horses are quite comfortable at about 40 degrees F (neutral) because they don't need energy to cool themselves and don't need energy to heat themselves.

But I agree. A cooler is a cooler. It's not meant as a turn-out blanket.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
What most people don't know is that horses are quite comfortable at about 40 degrees F (neutral) because they don't need energy to cool themselves and don't need energy to heat themselves.

But I agree. A cooler is a cooler. It's not meant as a turn-out blanket.
My horse gets crabby at 55 deg and shivers at 50 deg :) just how he is. Not all horses are okay unblanketed.

-------

A cooler usually doesn't have all the straps of a regular blanket so its very easy for it to get twisted and stuck. If you're going to use it as a liner under a waterproof turnout, you need to make sure you tightly see on extra straps so it can't twist. Even safer is so that it attaches to the outer layer too.

Check out chicks for cheapie blankets. I've bling a few from them.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
103 Posts
A lot of people add a cooler/fleece blanket as liner under a stable sheet. I believe it is considered a Lightweight Turnout and would be around 150grams of polyfill.

So yes, they can be put together to create something a little warmer when something more than just a plain sheet is needed. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.