The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
So I had measured and bought a blanket back in July/August of this year. Since it had been getting pretty cold her Daisy had been wearing it more and I realized it was to big for her. (84") Daisy also has lighter blanket that she wears in the upper 30s and/or when it is raining and it is a 78". Both blankets have been rubbing her right in front of her shoulders.
Should I clean and waterproof her 84" winter blanket to put it for sale or should I just get her a shoulder guard (sleazy)?

I am going to also invest in a neck cover for Daisy. Unfortunately when I bought her blanket a neck cover did not come with it. My question is how do I know what size did get her, since her 84" blanket is to big?

Thank you and happy trails!
🐴

·
Registered
165 Posts
She may need a different “cut” even in the correct size some blankets won’t fit due to the shape of the withers or how the neck ties in.
You will probably get good advice here but there are articles online recommending which neck opening is good for certain horse shapes and rubbed spots and which problems can be fixed with guards like you mentioned.

Good luck, blanket hunting is a hassle.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
If your getting rubs on shoulders blanket isn't wide enough, through the shoulders. Some brands of blankets are made for narrower horses.

Shoulder guard slinkys do help prevent rubbing.

I prefer the blankets with attached neck covers. The ones with detachable neck covers aren't as good in my opinion.

Also if you're current blanket doesn't have the dee rings ,to attach a neck cover. Neck cover won't stay put very well.

Current heavy weight blankets I have are 1680 denier, turnouts. Like the closure on fronts double adjustable snap and buckle plus velcro assist. I layer blankets so the higher denier one is the top layer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts