The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've decided to put away Fri's MW and HW blanket. I know it is wise to wash them before you store them. I'm just wondering if I should penny pinch by attempting to do it myself? I could buy the Rambo blanket wash and take my blankets to a laundromat, or I could even try to fit them in my washer. (but I've heard that is not a good idea)

Is it better to just have someone professional do it? I want them to last long, protect my investment, but if there is an easier and less expensive way to do it, I'll look forward to hearing it from you.

I was also wondering if there is another type of solvent I can use other than the Rambo blanket wash, I've heard some people say to you dish detergent instead of laundry detergent. What do you use?, and what do you do with your dirty blankets!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
We take all of our blankets to the laundromat, mainly because we don't have open front washers (makes it muuuuuuuch easier to wash) and use regular laundry detergent. I don't dry them though! Someone I know dried her Rambo and part of it melted (the straps maybe?) or something.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I also sneak mine into the laundromat. Wash with regular detergent in cold water. Hang on the fence to dry. Spray with campdry (re-waterproofing spray). And store :)

I think that's next weekend's chore for me.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My boys don't have any turn out blankets, but I stuff my saddle blankets in the dryer and use some Cheer.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I put mine in my own washer and dryer after washing them in buckets first. I add a little bit of laundry soap to a big bucket (an old water bucket) and wash them really well. Then I put them all on the fence, rinse and let dry. If they are still super nasty I do it again, then I throw them in my own washing and let them hang dry. I've read that dryers can ruin waterproofing.
If your washer and dryer are front loaders then you should be fine unless you have a massive blanket. All of my blankets are 63-69" and they fit no problem one at a time.

Although if you have super expensive blankets it may be better to invest in professional washing and waterproofing. Once a year it isn't so bad, plus they can usually repair any little tear or break in hardwear.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I was thinking about this, Majic got his blanket completely coated in mud, however I have a top loading washing machine. Is this really going to harm the blanket?

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
I was thinking about this, Majic got his blanket completely coated in mud, however I have a top loading washing machine. Is this really going to harm the blanket?
I tried washing Lacey's blanket in my top loading washing machine (on gentle) with no soap or anything and it kinda failed. I ended up running it through 3 times and it was still dirty when I pulled it out. I had much better success using a scrub brush and a hose. But the blanket was perfectly fine, just dirty still.

·
Registered
527 Posts
My blankets were pretty muddy also. I just threw them over the fence and hosed them off. :wink:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much about the blanket....it's your washer that you might be concerned about. Typical household washers aren't really intended for dirty horse blankets and you can damage your machine using them that way.

I am fortunate to have a local tack shop that does horse laundry/repairs on site. Sheet washing is $21.00 and blanket washing is $26.00. Can get kind of pricey during mud season though. :-(

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd rather pay a pro $20-30 then possibly ruin my washing machine. I only do it once a year though, at the end of the season for storage. During the season, I'll hose down the blankets (not on the horse) or use a stiff dandy brush to take off dried mud while it's still on my horse - as if I'm brushing the horse. I have both a MW & a LW turnout - so about $50/yr to clean.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
I pre-soak the blankets in the bath tub, put them through a light cycle with minimal detergent in my front loading washer and then hit them with a second garden hose style rinse to get off any residue and hang to dry.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I wash my blankets once a month and our professional place charges $35 a blanket. Too much for me. So I hose them off in the wash stall, bring them home in the back of the pickup truck and try to get them in the washing machine without dripping too much on the floor. I have done this for years and the washing machine still works :) I use a little woolite, not sure why, but I am hoping it is mild. I dry them for just a minute or two in the dryer and then hang to dry. I spray on a whole can of camp dry over the blanket. (I buy that Walmart.) After the horse blankets I run a load of dog bedding or bathroom rugs or something I don't care if there is a little horse hair residue on.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much about the blanket....it's your washer that you might be concerned about. Typical household washers aren't really intended for dirty horse blankets and you can damage your machine using them that way.

I am fortunate to have a local tack shop that does horse laundry/repairs on site. Sheet washing is $21.00 and blanket washing is $26.00. Can get kind of pricey during mud season though. :-(
Well I was my saddle pads and dog bedding in it and its still working...I imagine if I hose it off it might not be that much worse :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.