The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bleh! That was DISGUSTING! Up there on par with being hit in the face by an afterbirth when I worked at a dairy.

So the new freebie mare & foal we got, Raven the mare is near perfect - she's beautiful personality, friendly, compliant on lead. And bodywise, aside from being neglected in the... duck feet department and nutrition - her coat is a little washed out & frazzled - she is otherwise great, EXCEPT....

She has a small but significant lump in the skin at her lumbar spine, thinking it's a sarcoid. Looks like it's just behind where the saddle pad will go to so no biggie.

And she had a rather largish (golfball sized) lump on her neck, just behind where the halter strap sits behind her ear. Had a couple of small weepy spots on it. Woman said it wasn't there a week ago & she only just noticed it when she put the halter on her that morning. She said it must be an abscess. Checked it out, felt firm but also loose on her neck, not hot, not attached deeper in, didn't seem to bother the mare in the least with me touching & moving it. Thought it was either an abscess or a sarcoid, but given it didn't bother her, was thinking sarcoid more likely & the woman was fibbing saying it has just appeared.

Showed my vet some pics & she said it looked like sarcoids. Not bothering the horse, not urgent, so I thought no need to get vet out, I can wait until Bee the baby is halter trained & I can take them both to vets for a checkup/treatment. The lump didn't change in the last week, doesn't appear to bother her still, she let me feel it again yesterday & loves a scratch all around it...

So this morning I go call Raven up & the lump is tennis ball sized & half bald, skin shiny - because it had obviously swollen so quickly! I felt it & it wasn't hot, but it was hard as. Hardly put any pressure on it at all, and got shot by a huge spurt of pus! So then I started squeezing on purpose. She started out flicking her head away - obviously wasn't pleasant - but then just let me do it - must have felt so much better. I reckon I squeezed literally at least about 2/3 of a cup out, it was running down her face & blobbing at her feet. Bleh!

So... I got most but I'm sure not all of it, have no idea whether the abscess was from a grass seed or such still in there, so this is definitely a vet job & more urgent than first thought - she will need sedative & local anesthetic to explore it properly. And today was Miss Bee's first halter lesson(went well, with a bodyrope as well), so if I do at least a couple of sessions a day with the halter, hopefully she will be up for a trip to the vets in a few days(won't be tying her in trailer anyway), or else I'll have to get the vet out to us. Just that they have a proper horse hospital setup there, crush etc, so she can be restrained & operated on more safely, etc...

But thought I'd ask you mob, who's dealt with this before? Anyone dealt with it by yourself, without a vet? Whinny, my other mare did have an abscess on her eyelid last summer, but I was able to squeeze that & a grass seed came out with the pus & it healed fine - would have taken her to the vet if it persisted. This one is a LOT bigger... tho it's now back to about half golfball sized and soft, after all that gunk. You reckon my idea of watch & OK to wait a few more days is appropriate? And of course, I appreciate whatever opinions from you guys are only guesses, without enough info to say anything for sure.

·
Registered
14,174 Posts
How tight are your restrictions on antibiotics? Can you go to your local feed store and pick up some Penicillin and start her on that? I would be doing warm compress soaks, with hot water and Epsom Salts, at least 2X/day and dry to keep it open and draining. Can you get ichthammol (drawing salve) over the counter? I'd do warm compress, manipulate it to try and squeeze anything out, then I'd put on a lot of icthammol to try and keep it drawing. Vet as soon as possible, you don't want her to get septic.

·
Registered
301 Posts
This is what I would do. Get as much gunk out as possible. Then if there’s a hole, take an empty syringe and fill it with an antiseptic solition (chamomile, strong black tea, chalendula, Saline or any of the like), Flush it by filling the abscess (under the skin) with that and squeezing back out. If you can do that a few times, bonus.

Then make an alcohol compress. The best you can do is get your hands on sofora flowers (or even buds) and make a tincture with strong alcohol. A few table spoons to a 500-700ml of vodka. That needs to stay at least few days in a dark and cool place to derive benefits, but the longer the better. But this is something that would be good for future, for now, straight alcohol will work as a compress. (Soak a folded paper towel and place over the abscess. If it’s open and you think it’ll sting too much you can start with diluted alcohol. Then cover the area with plastic and secure in place with bandage). Even if you can get the compress to stay on for as little as half an hour a few times a day. You’ll most likely notice that the abscess will dry up and start to heal by about day 3.
After that you can apply something like sudocrem which is zinc cream to keep the flies off and promote healing and let it air dry.
Takes some work and effort, but saves money and time on getting to the vet. You have a few days before you can get there anyways so worth a try. If it’s filling up with pus already then the infection is in full bloom and in a few days you could be looking at a possible blood infection.

Sometimes applying a warm compress before flushing helps with making the horse more comfortable.

By the why, most horses can’t stand the smell of alcohol or anything antiseptic. So what I normally do, is put a nice thick paper towel or about 5 gauze pads over the infected area first, then plastic (those plastic fruit bags work great) and wrap it up. Vet wrap works even better if you apply a piece of tape on fur and wrap before the final wrap. Just don’t cut off circulation by wrapping too tight! Then take your prefilled syringe (alcohol or whatever you’re using), lift the bandage a little to get access to the gauze or paper towel and soak it, fast. 60cc syringe works well for this. Then they can take off but the bandage is already in place.

I have used this method on a horse who a vet couldn’t touch with a 6’ pole and he had a big deglove injury on the hind cannon. Worked pretty good.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I know you are asking horse questions but, my experience is with abscesses in cattle. On a cow I find the soft spot and lance it. Squeezing all I can out of it and manipulating from the outside to the lanced opening. Then find the bottom of the pocket and lancing as close to the bottom as possible to drain at the lowest point. Then with a syringe I use a 5% iodine solution and flush well. Next I give LA200, LA300 or a good Combiotic (Penicillin) as prescribed by body weight in the instructions provided for the antibiotic. On cattle they drain for a few days and if needed a follow up shot when recommended by the instructions. This normally takes care of it. On cattle no sedative is needed but, they are usually in a head chute. Normally they calm down and let me work on them rather quickly.

·
Super Moderator
22,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How tight are your restrictions on antibiotics? Can you go to your local feed store and pick up some Penicillin and start her on that? I would be doing warm compress soaks, with hot water and Epsom Salts, at least 2X/day and dry to keep it open and draining. Can you get ichthammol (drawing salve) over the counter? I'd do warm compress, manipulate it to try and squeeze anything out, then I'd put on a lot of icthammol to try and keep it drawing. Vet as soon as possible, you don't want her to get septic.
Yeah, restrictions tight on antib's but I have some Pen. in the fridge, that I talked the vet into needing for a previous issue. I will start her on that. Hmm, didn't think about a compress, but I've just cleaned it(a few times now) with warm saline - didn't want to use iodine or anything that would dry it too much. I have 'magnoplasm' I think it's called - a drawing salve for splinters & the likes made from Mg Sulph. so I can use that for a compress. Will be interesting trying to keep it on the spot tho.

Unfortunately public holiday today, so no shops open to get anything else, but will be onto the vets tomoz.

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
Great advice from everyone!

I got nuthin’ and want to thank you for the vivid description- no - I - don’t. So much for putting my bagel in the toaster for at least a half hour:):)

On a serious note, I might ask the vet about a tetanus shot. It may be too far after the fact by now but I would ask anyway:)

·
Super Moderator
13,695 Posts
Gross loosie, just gross....
So to be grosser....was there smell or odor at the release of the pus?
There is pus and then there is pus and I know you understand that comment.
{there is no smell to a whitehead pimple popping, but if infection is present then there is odor.}

I get the cleaning it out, keeping it clean as possible...
But I would not be doing anything at this point to dry it up...
To me you want it wet so when the vet does go searching for what caused it it is not dried and re-embedded deeper in the tissues...

Do you have a neck/jowl sweat "old-timers" used to sweat a throatlatch for the appearance desired in the show-ring?
That would cover or hold any bandage in place you could make for right now...

Isn't there a plant leaf that someone recently mentioned that would be a draw agent but keep moist?
I thought I read of it here on the forum...
Maybe I read of it on one of the educational sites like www.thehorse.com or such...
:runninghorse2:...

·
Super Moderator
22,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, was muchos grossos... and I have a pretty 'strong stomach' but won't be eating custard for a while!

Walkin, kicking myself I didn't get there yesterday - will do tomoz, to the feed store to get tetanus & strangles shots - was going to do that anyway for the newbies. Apparently, so long as a tetanus infection hasn't already taken a strong hold, booster shots are usually effective anyway. HLG no, as revolting as it was, it wasn't stinky at all - pus & blood was pretty clean looking.

Couldn't get a compress to stay on it where it is - didn't want to leave a bandage wrapped around her throat, and short of wrapping half her head, didn't know how to do it. No, HLG, don't have/know of a 'neck sweat' thing. So I made a sort of slurry out of epsom salts & slathered that on - hope it didn't sting too much, as the skin around the holes is raw now. Hope the epsom salts doesn't dry it out either... Don't know about alcohol - isn't that drying? But don't have any straight spirits anyway - had an abundance of citrus so all my vodka & gin went in with fruit & sugar - far more better! :winetime: Speaking of citrus, she has now had 2 penicillin shots, will get another one in the morn, then I'll call the vet.

She has been such a friendly girl, but she doesn't like me any more now. :music019:

·
Super Moderator
16,045 Posts
I agree with ksbowman, best if you can lance making a good size cut, preferably downwards so the abscess can continue to drain. Doubt if anything is left in there as it was probably washed out with the gunk.

I would also wash out with a saline solution. Using a large syringe to put some pressure into the area to wash it all out.

Personally, unless itmstarted to reform, I wouldn't bother with the vet though you might need to for antibiotics.

·
Registered
14,174 Posts
she has now had 2 penicillin shots, will get another one in the morn, then I'll call the vet.

She has been such a friendly girl, but she doesn't like me any more now. :music019:
Yeah, the penicillin works great but they tend to carry a grudge if you have to give too many. Your vet might give you some Tucoprim or SMZ/TMP tablets that you can dissolve and put over her food. They don't seem to mind the flavor and they are sure happy about not getting the shots. I keep Penicillin on hand for emergencies and I try to keep a big bottle of SMZ/TMP on hand too. 500 tabs costs about $40 U.S., so cheap and efficient. Excede is a great 1 and done injection but it's expensive (100 ml bottle, $235 US) and it's best for respiratory stuff.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Are you able to get Chlorhexidine solution? If you can, after a warm, wet compress I would give the wound a flush with some warm water+Chlorhexidine. Keeping it draining will help it heal quickly. Good luck!

·
Registered
257 Posts
About abcesses on cattle-- there are two classic jokes played on naive people out in the country. First is the classic-Boys try to get other boys to pee on electric fences. The other is Oh, look! Look at this lump on my cow's back. Come over here, check it out. The victim comes over to get a good look. The perpetrator sqeezes the juicy warble fly larvae abcess an pops it into the person's face. Do not fall for this!

·
Super Moderator
22,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It looks the same as yesterday, hasn't got worse again, she's getting antib's. She will also get a tetanus shot I just bought this morn(tho think if it were in there, would have come on by now). I will lance another hole in the bottom of it if I can, squeeze & flush again with saline & wait until monday for the vet then.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Blow flies and screw worm fly larva can be gross. My dairy farmer neighbor said as kids he and his brother would put a Coke bottle over them on cattle, whack the bottle and they would pop inside.
My wife and I would live trap wild rabbits...most had lumps. She had idea putting vaseline over opening, when larva poked it's head out I'd pull them out with tweezers. They're really nasty things. Then we cleaned area, release rabbits.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just been & gave her her shots & cleaned it up again. Nothing more came out of the lanced hole or elsewhere, tho it's weeping. It's harder, but smaller and very itchy - she wanted me to scratch it, but for cleanliness - my fingernails aren't exactly sterile - I only scratched round the outside.

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
Sounds like she is in the mend but Imwould still feel better about a vet looking at her, we’re she mine:)

When the vet does look at her, he/she will probably thank you for doing his job so well, while he has a hand out for the trip fee, lollol

Reactions: loosie

·
Registered
257 Posts
Blow flies and screw worm fly larva can be gross. My dairy farmer neighbor said as kids he and his brother would put a Coke bottle over them on cattle, whack the bottle and they would pop inside.
My wife and I would live trap wild rabbits...most had lumps. She had idea putting vaseline over opening, when larva poked it's head out I'd pull them out with tweezers. They're really nasty things. Then we cleaned area, release rabbits.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk
This made me queasy and I am a nurse.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My horse is a cribber and we tried a different collar (from the Dare collar) He rubbed the Miracle collar browband off. The collar slipped down and was too tight and he got a lump on his neck that had purulant discharge (puss). The vet said it was from dead tissue under the skin. My trainer saw me messing with it and said don't keep doing that it will cause proud flesh. We just kept it clean and put on Swat fly repelant ointment around it and it got well on its own. The Dare collar does not slip down on him and stays in place. I am not implying that all abscesses should be left alone, this was just one individual case.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts