The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a horse and she recently went blind. She knows, generally, where all the fences and obstacles are but I just bought a new mare and foal and when she heard them, she crashed into the fence. With any other horse/ situation I'd just say, turn them out, they'll be fine. But I don't know that this time. The new horse I bought and one of my others already know each other, so I'm not too worried about them. Part of my fence is welded wire, but part of it is round pen panels (I'm trying to get some better fencing soon). I'm just trying to maybe make this situation a little safer. I don't want Wilma and Rainbow to have to leave, where they were is awful I wish I could explain. The pen is muddy, gross, and no fresh grass at all and no dry place to stand. I just don't really know what to do

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,033 Posts
Trying to clear up who is who in my mind...

You've owned the horse that went blind for some time?

The new mare and foal are Wilma and Rainbow?

Is there an additional new mare that already knows one of your horses?

Does your blind mare have a pasture buddy?

The mare and foal in the photo are a cute pair

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have had the blind mare, Ginger, for about 2 years and she has a buddy named Lizzie. We just got two more horses Rainbow and her mom Wilma. Wilma and Lizzie know each other. Sorry, I was kinda scared and that was like midnight or something when I posted that. I'm not very good at typing and frantic and midnight doesn't make it any better lol. I'm still worried, but they're calm now. I stalled them all in stalls next to each other, so they could meet and this morning I turned out Liz and Ginger and left momma and baby in and I'm gonna switch them out for a couple days. And then I plan on putting Wilma and Rain out in the dog field next to the horse lot so they can meet across a fence. Any advice on how it might could go smoother?

The picture is Wilma and Rain at their old place. They had a little shelter but pipes drained into it so it was always nasty too

·
Super Moderator
10,033 Posts
It sounds like you have a good plan.

I understand the worry about introducing new herd mates in your situation. Take your time. Give them time. Eventually put them together when you can be around.

I have friends who own several dozen horses. They run a couple gelding pastures. Young mare pasture. Etc. They and their ranch hands take turns on watch through the first night when they introduce someone new to a group.

Hope you end up with a peaceable kingdom.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Are you planning on turning out the mare and foal with the blind horse?

In general, it is a bad idea to put a blind horse with other horses. If the other horses are bossy, the blind mare can't see their pinned ears or warning signs that a kick or bite is coming.

However, if the mare and foal are bottom of the herd and non aggressive, it might work just fine. For example, i have a mare that is bottom of the herd in the pecking order. I have no concern with turning her out with my crippled old mare. They sometimes even share a small paddock. Only because the bottom of the herd mare lets the old mare be boss and i never see them argue about anything.

I would probably keep them separate at first and only introduce them when I am around to make certain they are getting along. You are right to be cautious about introducing them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I only have one fenced place that's big enough for horses besides my back yard, which is where I keep my dog. I'm hoping to get some fencing done soon. Where I can have multiple pastures. Ginger is smart. She already had a bossy mare before she went blind, but she kinda attached to her so I probably couldn't separate them if I tried. Whenever Liz get close to her, she just kinda steps away, even though she doesn't know if she's being mean or not. I guess she just assumes she is haha. Wilma is pretty non-aggressive. I have seen her chase off Ellie, the mare she was with in her other field, but she'd already had a mare try to take her foal. As for the foal, Rainbow, I'm not really worried about her. My two other mares love her, she always visits them at the corners of the stalls and I see no mean ears at all. And she's used to running away from disagreements between Wilma and Ellie. Ginger has been whinying a lot when the mare and foal are turned out and I don't really know why. I don't know if she's the type to steal a foal, I hope not. Then I have wait until weaning time to introduce them. I've been turning my two out first in the big lot half the day, and then the mare and foal in may back yard (because theres more grass and Wilma needs it) the other half and putting them up at 8pm so that they all sleep together. They all had to stay inside all day yesterday though. It stormed. The rain made Ginger really anxious. The stalls are a mess!

I made a little collar with bells on it so that Ginger doesnt lose Liz! It's made out of paracord, I hope its loud enough. When Ginger calls for her, Lizzy ignores her and lets her pace around looking for her. It was mean so I made a thing with bells on it so now she has to be nice.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hmm, like someone else said above, you seem to have everything under control. I would just say keeo a close eye out. I myself have a one-eyed barrel horse (but of course, that is different).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know a horse named Shadow with only one eye! He's the cutest. I used to have a one-eyed dog, too. And a dog named Shadow, weirdly enough. Two separate dogs though. This is Charlie, he died of cancer about a year ago. He was a good boy. Caught a rat day after the surgery to take out his eyeball🤦‍♀️

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: everyone is good! We ended up having to turn them out in adjacent pastures earlier than we thought because I came to muck stalls one day and Wilma was literally trotting back and forth in her stall and I was afraid she would hurt herself or her baby. I ended up taking her and baby out of the stall and gauging the other horses reactions. Strangely enough? No reactions lol. So I just went ahead and put them out. Not before haltering and holding my blind horse, though. Wasn't that confident about it lol.
They were of course some disagreements between my boss mare and momma, and Lizzy threatens to bite the baby, but I haven't seen her actually attempt to do it yet, so I think she's just trying to establish her place or whatever. I kinda hope Rainbow grows and dethrowns her lol. Anyway, they've been turned our in adjacent pastures for a few days and everything is good. Ginger generally doesn't go up to the fences. It's a little sad because I can tell she wants to participate. I'm just glad she's not running into fences. She has gone up and sniffed at Wilma and the baby, and all was friendly. No pawing, squealing, nothing. It was a relief to see haha. Thank you guys for you help everyone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts