The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 22 year old Appy mini horse has recently gone totally blind due to cataracts, ad seems to be adapting well. She is happy and eating like a horse :)-)), and has a choice of "seeing eye ponies" to share her paddock with. For her safety she is only with one other pony at a time. The vet assessed our property and advised which areas are safe for her now that she can no longer see. I suspect she is adating better than I am at ths stage, and would much appreciate any advice anyone has to help her remain safe and happy.

·
Registered
344 Posts
We've had a number of blind rescues at the ranch, and it sounds like she's doing great, and you're doing all the right things. The only thing I can suggest is padding any corners (like around her door) with something softish, like carpet, if she has a stall. Also, unless her seeing eye buddy starts clicking his hooves together when they walk (ours does!) you may want to get them a small bell to wear.

Our resident blind guy, Smokey, loved to be talked to, sang to, or read to. He would fall asleep because it was comforting for him to know a person was so close.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blind mini horse-thanks for suggestion

Thankyou, that is a great idea, we are just starting to build her a special stall as the other one is in an unsafe paddock, and I had not considered putting carpet in the corners and around the doorway. She occasionally bumps into the gatepost too when I am leading her through, so I may pad that as well. She really seems to enjoy company too, I sing silly pony songs and she gets all gooey. Funnily enough, her main companion has clicky hooves, but I may buy some bells for the others.. Do bells not bother them?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.