The Horse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are everywhere! Crawling through the garden eating pretty much everything, in the grass, I found one (live) in my round bale this morning! (Grass hay, not alfalfa.)

Has anyone ever had this problem before?
Am I freaking out over nothing or should I be worried? How much does a horse actually have to eat of one for a lethal dose?

Keep in mind these beetles are live and crawling around. They are not crushed, chopped up and dead in the hay.
Will they actually eat one if it's alive?
What do I do to keep my horses safe?

Thanks....

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
1. Be sure they are blister beetles. There is another, benign beetle that resembles the blister beetle.

1.1. Take clear pictures of one showing the back, head and its pincers. Then I would all my local Ag agent and also my local livestock and equine vets if they are separate and ask them to identify the beetles that are invading your grass hay.

2. Its only 3:30 Central time, call them and leave voice mails if you have to. If nobody calls you back, bug them tomorrow (Thursday) morning with another call or drive to their offices.

3. I can’t answer your important questions because what I suggested you do, is what I would do. A horse would not intentionally eat a bug but that’s not to say they won’t swallow one if it gets caught up in the hay and th3y can’t spit it out.

What part of the U.S. do you live in? This is one of my worst nightmares🤢🤢

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Be sure they are blister beetles. There is another, benign beetle that resembles the blister beetle.

1.1. Take clear pictures of one showing the back, head and its pincers. Then I would all my local Ag agent and also my local livestock and equine vets if they are separate and ask them to identify the beetles that are invading your grass hay.

2. Its only 3:30 Central time, call them and leave voice mails if you have to. If nobody calls you back, bug them tomorrow (Thursday) morning with another call or drive to their offices.

3. I can’t answer your important questions because what I suggested you do, is what I would do. A horse would not intentionally eat a bug but that’s not to say they won’t swallow one if it gets caught up in the hay and th3y can’t spit it out.

What part of the U.S. do you live in? This is one of my worst nightmares🤢🤢
Ughhh.
We're in Oklahoma. Apparently everyone out here is having the same problem.... They are invading the gardens and eating EVERYTHING!

I have my round bale under a tarp near the pasture. I give them each a portion twice a day, so it's not out there for them to eat on freely. I have been checking and so far only found one... I think it crawled in there.

This is off the internet, but all of them are identical to this. Little yellowish spots near their rear.
Green Plant Vertebrate Botany Nature

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
I would still call your local extension agent and ask what is safe to use to get rid of them.

If you could gather up a bunch of them, a bucket of hot soapy water will kill them and Pyrethrin will kill them but you can’t use either one on your hay stack or rolls.

Do you have a lot of grasshoppers? I read their larvae feed on grasshopper eggs.

Good thoughts coming your way for a resolution to getting rid of them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would still call your local extension agent and ask what is safe to use to get rid of them.

If you could gather up a bunch of them, a bucket of hot soapy water will kill them and Pyrethrin will kill them but you can’t use either one on your hay stack or rolls.

Do you have a lot of grasshoppers? I read their larvae feed on grasshopper eggs.

Good thoughts coming your way for a resolution to getting rid of them.
Thank you. Yes, I read that too. We have millions of grasshoppers this year, so that may be why. Ughhh! These little suckers are eeevill! 😡

·
Super Moderator
15,918 Posts
Look at it this way.... you won't have the numbers of grasshoppers you have next year. The larvae is beneficial. The adult not so much. They are after the blooms though so make sure all the alfalfa hay or mixed alfalfa hay was cut before bud stage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts