The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The barn owner just told me today that they are not feeding any more alfalfa hay because some horse at another barn had to be euthanized, supposedly because of blister beetles. She wants to be sure her hay is coming from a different source before she feeds it again.

I'm feeling a little blase about continuing to feed it. I feed Teddy a fair amount of alfalfa hay, especially in the winter, to keep his weight up. I could switch to pellets (I have plenty), which he loves, but that's not as healthy IMO.

Do you guys think it's OK to keep feeding the alfalfa hay? I could maybe pick through it and look for bugs? Or would you not feed any until this is sorted out?

·
Registered
228 Posts
It was my understanding that the blister beetle problem was only with alfalfa grown in Texas. Maybe it is a bigger issue but I thought alfalfa brought in from another state was ok.

·
Registered
9,837 Posts
My understanding (someone correct me if I’m wrong) is that first cut alfalfa is safe. It’s 2nd & 3rd cuts that could be in jeopardy.

It is not something I would be ho-hum about.

I would call my county extension agent, and every equine vet facility in the area.

I might even call the state equine nutritionist. I’m sure Texas has one - Tennessee does:)

·
Super Moderator
13,887 Posts
If you are using the barns supplier and the barns supply of alfalfa hay for yours...yea, no.
Think I would be following the barn owners lead and not feed that stored hay unless from a different supplier and location till you do understand what is happening and why.
Blister beetles are to taken very seriously with regard to our horses and their health.

From what my vet told me regarding pellets or cubes...
Pellets are fully processed and offer no long stem morsels...it is long stem that benefits the gut.
I was also told I would need double the amount of pellets fed to make the same gains 1/2 the amount in cubes would give.
Regardless, soak the pellets/cubes no matter how well your horses eat...
Once that pellet.cube starts to slide the esophagus it expands on moisture...called potential blockage and choke.
Soaking allows the pellet to pre-expand and also guarantees sufficient water intake of your horse reducing the chance of impaction colic from not enough water intake when cold out.
Just a thought...
:runninghorse2:...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.