The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having blood work done tomorrow morning on ice. Testing for cushing's which I seriously doubt he has. Also testing for I R also doubt that's an issue.

He's in hard work and dropping off the weight and winter hair is coming off in gobs. Might skip doing IR I'll see what vet thinks.

How long to get results from cornell?? Being shipped next day delivery. Vets well versed in doing blood work for cushings testing.

As it is it's costing me missing a day of work. Doing teeth at a later date to keep cost down.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
It always seems like it takes longer than I want it to ;)

I’d estimate 7-10 business days; but I also have a feeling my vet might have the results for a couple of days before she’s able to get them to me. She’s just a single vet practice, always busy, and likes to talk you through the results over the phone whether positive or negative.

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
About the same as @egrogan , as long as the office help doesn’t misfile the result.

That happened with Joker’s initial tests in Spring 2019. I called and called ad naseum because I never got a bill nor the test results.

Then, one sunny day in October the Clinic called and cheerily said “we finally have your bill from Cornell!

I said ok, where are the test results that were done five months ago?! As soon as you find those and make my copies, call me and I will then pay the bill.

The return back-peddling call came in a few hours and Joker’s cortisol was three times higher than normal. He should have been on Prascend when the tests were done in May.

The vet was livid but couldn’t say much.

The vet who owns the clinic will be at my place on Monday and I WILL get my digs in.

We can compare notes on turnaround time and the test results, hopefully in ten days max :)

Joker is getting insulin, cortisol, CBC, Complete Chemistry Panel, and his teeth/gums checked.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@egrogan thank you @walkinthewalk thank you. I'll also ask vet if I remember to. Vets doing the THR test for cushing's. If this requires several needle jabs. Lord help us because ice turns into a fire breathing dragon.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I would just have his teeth done since you are off work. I had a horse tested for cushings years ago, the Vet gave him dmso oral, and it really messed him up . His hair coat became greasy and fell off in clumps, his frogs fell off, he lost lbs fast. I would never allow anyone to use dmso on my horses and was not told what The Vet was giving him for the test, or I would not have allowed it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts