The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it only Paints that have blue eyes or can any breed have them? The only horses I've seen with blue eyes are Paints so I was wondering if it was a breed thing. Thanks! =)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ so any breed can have them?

·
Registered
504 Posts
^ so any breed can have them?
I believe so. My friend has a solid black minature pony with a white stripe and he has 2 blue eyes. He has no painted lineage. I think he is gorgeous when he doesn't have all his fuzz :)

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Any breed can have blue eyes...it's just not common (in general).

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
Cloudsmystique's mare is, if im correct, a FoxTrotter with no paint lineage.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yeah my Quarter Pony has blue eyes, she's a cremello.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
Actually........ any breed that can have a cremello can have blue eyes.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! I was just wondering because we were having a convo at the barn and this question just came up and no one really knew.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Blue eyes are also a trait of the splash white pattern-- splash is found in many breeds besides paints/pintos-- in its minimal form it makes face/leg markings that wouldn't be considered paint/pinto, but in its more highly expressed for it can cause belly/body white that would be considered paint/pinto.

Here is a registered Appaloosa mare who has minimal Splash (IMO) and has 2 3/4 blue eyes. She produced a couple of foals which also had blue eyes, but she never produced foals with pinto markings.

·
Registered
570 Posts
There is a horse at my barn with a blue eye, he is a purebred Cheval Canadien, so no paint or appy in his background. Of over seventy horses, he is the only one with a blue eye. The sad thing is, he has a cataract on it and might go blind in that eye.
Picture 039.jpg

There is also a mare with an eye that looks blue because she has glaucoma and is completely blind in that eye.
Picture 474.jpg

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have a neighbor that had an app stallion she bred the three mares, and two of the three foals had one blue eye (I ended up w/ the one w/ two brown eyes).

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
some grey horses have blue eyes and some pie/skewbald horses have one or two blues eyes if there is a white patch covering it.

none of the coloured horses are paint, they are cobs :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Here is my perlino Welsh Pony, Harrison. Because he's a double dilute (buckskin x buckskin), his eyes are blue.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
There is a horse at my barn with a blue eye, he is a purebred Cheval Canadien, so no paint or appy in his background. Of over seventy horses, he is the only one with a blue eye. The sad thing is, he has a cataract on it and might go blind in that eye.
View attachment 29121

There is also a mare with an eye that looks blue because she has glaucoma and is completely blind in that eye.
View attachment 29124
That isn't a real blue eye, it's that color because of the cataract.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Ponyboy: I think masatisan knows it's not really a blue eye, i think she was just giving an example of an eye that is blue due to glaucoma incase someone confused it with a true blue eye.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.