Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I keep my horses on a DIY basis at a small yard. I have a box for each of them and turnout. As I'm workin two jobs, we're not riding out during the winter as there is no arena/lights and quite often I go from one job, quickly feed/bring in and get on my way to the other job. On boxing day my husband went out to to feed and the horses had broken out of their field and into the BO's garden (which borders the turnout with only a wooden fence dividing). the BO approached my husband and told him we would need to buy fencing as our horses has broken it.

My husband went out to look at the fencing today (horses stayed in yesterday due to weather) and he said that the wood is completely rotten, and actually broke from him just pressing on it.

I pay my livery,on time. He has never been asked to as much as look at my horses - myself and husband do everything ourselves. I'm a quiet border - I'm out of the yard by 8am, long before they are out to their own horses and keep my area clean.

I'm curious - do you feel that it is up to me to maintain the BO's fencing, or is that up to him?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Just my opinion, but it's the BO obligation to make sure the fencing is sturdy and replace it if necessary. I would offer to help build it but not pay for it!

·
Super Moderator
15,205 Posts
If your horses broke the fencing, depending upon your contract you might need to replace it, as in that section!
If the fence is in such bad condition of rot, I would be concerned of it happening again and a loose horse both trampling or eating the garden area and or out on the road.
Negotiate the fence cost...you replace it and will take the cost off of your board monthly fees till paid in full, don't forget your labor is worth $$ too.
Or, you could put up some electric fence and when you move on you remove it and take it with you.

I kind of don't think it your responsibility to replace old, on the verge of falling apart fence myself.
Your BO/landlord is paid for a barn, stall and turnout space.
He is responsible for maintenance and replacement of worn out items...fencing falls into "his responsibility" in my eyes.
{I look at it if you have a rental home and the refrigerator stops working, do you replace it at your expense or it it the landlords responsibility?? To me it is covered with "the rent".}

I think depending upon this issue and how it is settled, you will be looking for "new" accommodations for the horse(s) soon.

·
Registered
13,661 Posts

If the wood in the fence is rotten, then no way would I pay for it.

Actually if the fence is rotten and your Horse got out and got hurt, the BO would be liable and subject to a lawsuit, the BO better just be thankful your Horse was not hurt!

·
Registered
881 Posts
I would not pay for it unless it is stated in the contract. It's usually the BO responsibility to keep the facility up and running and maintained.

That's my opinion.

·
Registered
13,661 Posts

Even if it is in the Contract, no one should expect you to pay for rotten wood :wink:

Now if it was in the Contract and your Horse Broke a Sturdy wood board with No Rot, then that would be different

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Hopefully this was just something she didn't realize. Any fair BO wouldn't make you pay for rotten fencing :/

EDIT--Just wanted to add that I don't condone this xD A BO /should/ be checking the fencing on a fairly regular basis. Daily isn't always an option, but that would be best...
Still, we all make mistakes sometimes xD

·
Administrator
36,319 Posts
No it isn't right to expect you to pay for it
We did one time keep a couple of our horses on a small yard that belonged to an elderly lady in the winter months as she had an Indoor arena, she didn't charge much and wasn't very well off so most of us did help with repairs and stuff like that but she always paid for any materials

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Keep in mind when deciding how to handle this. If the arrangement isn't to the BO's satisfaction, are you prepared to move the horses?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I actually had something similar happen to me recently.

My sister, aunt and I rent a 8 stall barn and a few paddocks from a retired couple who got out of horses. When some of the posts were discovered to be rotten and two of our horses leaned on the fence it fell over and they got out one night.

Not only did the barn owner contact me as soon as it was discovered she caught and put both horses in their stalls. They were both extremely apologetic and replaced the rotten posts as well as many of the others and tightened the fence up the next day.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,

Sorry busy times for me at the moment!

My husband went and bought the materials and we fixed the fence ourselves right away. I haven't caught sight of the BO to speak to him about it but wasn't willing to leave it on the long finger in fear that my horses get out/injured in the meantime... I'm not willing to pay for general upkeep of somebody else's property, and am glad to see that as a whole we all seem to be on the same mindset so I'm not being contrary.

When speaking with him, I will be setting it in stone that this was a one off, and I will not be prepared to maintain his property for him unless he is prepared to give me a discount on my livery.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.