The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I am just curious on a few things. I lived on property with barn owner. We had a falling out due to her personal life choices (I no longer felt comfortable living there) and told her my horse may be leaving, was not yet sure because he would have been going to a trainer. She got upset and sent me a text evicting me from property. Nothing in board agreement was broke, board for this month paid. There was no contract for rent for the house itself besides a verbal contract ro pay $200 a month.

Here is where I am unsure. In our boarding agreement nothing is stated about eviction. So due to her breaching the contract is my board still none refundable? "No refund if owner vacates or terminates monthly board agreement if before end of said month". Says nothing about stable. Also states that when owner puts in notice must be in writing. Does that include eviction, must be put in writing?

Issue two I just moved in a horse on the 8th. No agreement was signed for this horse nor anything paid yet. In the contract it states "there will be no pro-rated monthly board". But she wants $81 for the week he was here. I figured what the per day cost for my horse was (I buy grain and do stalls) because of discount discussed in contact. I told her I would pay $70. What do I owe her, if anything? Could it be taken out of months board I already paid?

I wouldn't question anything if there was reason for eviction or I broke the contract to willingly leave. So I want to be sure.of what grounds both Stable and I stand on.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
First off, if anyone sent me a notice about evicting my horses, I would get off the internet and get them out of there. Period. I would never leave my horses in a place they were unwanted. And then to bicker over $10? Get your horses safe and ask questions later.JMHO.

I once kept mine at a shared barn-a friend lived next door, and we shared facilities, chores, etc, with me (and a couple others) paying board. When she and her hubby split she said NOTHING-just took her horses, and I looked out the window to a horse running like a mad man in the pasture as she drove out the driveway with her horses. Mine does NOT do well alone, and she knew that. I was fortunate to have been there and have a network of folks I could call immediately who were more than happy to take my guy. He was out of there within a couple of hours.

Get your horses safe, before something goes really wrong.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are already at a new barn. As this happened two days ago. I'm just wondering what she is due, if anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
I'm glad you've got your horses moved already, Giftedglider.

If I understand things right (important point here: I ain't no lawyer), it sounds like she probably is in breach of contract and should give you some money back and on the other hand you likely owe her a bit of money for the week of the new horse. The logical thing to do would be to deduct what's owing for the new horse from the paid rent and refund the balance. Assuming we're not talking great wads of money here, I would chalk this up to experience and leave it. If she wants the new horse board dollars, then she can approach you about it and you can counter with the breach of contract and partial refund.

Good luck and isn't experience expensive?:-(

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
All you can do is wait and see what her next move is, if any. You will drive yourself nuts if you try to second guess it. I'm going to recommend that you not contact her. She may see it as you trying to initiate trouble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.