The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just bought a new mare, and I have been fighting with myself about whether or not I should keep her boarding indoors or not. Going to be working with this mare a lot indoors(arena etc), as soon as she moves to the barn from the breeders-so my reasons is to have access to being able to have quick and easy access to the facility without freezing my behind off. As it stands right now, I want to keep her indoors for the rest of the winter, then send her outside permanently.

Boarding indoors however is not cheap, and I've always been an advocate about allowing horses to stay outside in a herd environment. I do have other horses boarded outside, and will stay outside.

What have been your reasons for boarding indoors?

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
My horse is noticeably happier being boarded indoors in the winter. If he wasnt so thrilled about it, I'd leave him out. He stays outside full time April - October. I know he's tickled with coming in because he pays attention to when it's food time and loiters at the gate (only does it in the winter) and when I call him in outside of food time he is much more enthusiastic about coming in.

The indoor arena I have access to is in a separate building so I do have to walk outside for about 30 seconds.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
15,212 Posts
For the remainder of this winter into spring a real good reason is her health.

A horse who has been kept indoors is not physically prepared to suddenly be put outdoors, blanketed or not, in the middle of the winter.
You can cover her body, but you can't cover her belly very well, her legs or even her head and neck...her coat is to thin and she will suffer from the elements. She will never be able to catch up enough coat to be warm...
Glad you will keep her inside for now.

My horses have been in both pasture/paddock and in-stall in the barn boarding situations.
When I was riding and or showing, my horses were indoors for the availability of night riding {indoor arena} when needed, lighter hair coat growth, cleaner horse without the mud & dirt, and they were not turned out in group so no cuts and boo-boos to speak of, and just because it made my life easier.
When I trailrode my horses were outside and that was great. Slip on a halter and shanks and off I could go. They were much furrier, dirtier and many times wetter in the bad weather they did not seek shelter at all but then wallowed in the dirt to make mud and keep me from riding them I swore!

I think it all matters in what you are looking to achieve and want in your riding horse{s} and that is the biggest part of it...

Enjoy your new horse...:wink:

jmo...

·
Registered
3 Posts
The luxury of boarding inside, is the ability of not having to cool down horses as quickly as when you normally would, because your horse is sweaty. It's also nice to know that during the winter time, you don't have to go fetch a horse in complete darkness, and you can simply go in the barn to find your horse.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
I agree that she probably couldn't live out if she hasn't been at this point in the winter. I keep mine in stalls for convenience. I like to know they are in the barn at night. Just me. and I know that if I want to go see him (the one that is near me) I can. I do not ride in the winter, as we don't have an indoor……but when he was in training yes, he needed the stall for the obvious reason of sweating during workout.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I personally keep my horse outdoors but before I moved her I went to a barn that had a rather nice barn with stalls. I kept her outside because she is a bit more high energy. I believe that if a horse will be happy in a stall and will be allowed turn out time or daily exercise of some form it is okay. But it's a different story if you have a horse that constantly wants to move and isn't going to be happy standing in a stall for the majority of the day, I think keeping a high energy horse in a stall is wrong. If it's necessary then it's necessary but if it's an option you're choosing I would say it's a no go. So it kind of just depends on your horses attitude and what he/she would be happy with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.