The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill try to keep this as short as possible. I moved from Southern California to Idaho and brought my lovely gelding along with me. We found a place to board him that seemed decent enough and it was super cheap! (130$ a month) However, problems have begun to crop up. The barn is 20 minutes away from where I live and with college, I cannot always be down there everyday. The BO told us that they could clean daily, but they have not. The barn is a complete mess with old pallets, rusty metal barrels, 4 wheelers and a bunch of other stuff in the aisle way that makes it hard to even walk my horse out of his stall and impossible to tie him up anywhere in the aisleway. Not only this the "nice arena" that was listed online is instead a horrible fenced dirt patch with tons of rocks(most of which are larger than my fist!) and its also where they dump the poop when they actually do clean. I honestly do not feel comfortable with leaving my horse here. But here's the problem. Where I am there are not many boarding places. Most people who keep horses just have a pasture where they keep them. That doesn't really work for my horse since it is his first winter up here and he has a thin thoroughbred coat. My other problem is that I have found a few nice boarding situations that are about an hour or so away but they are quite a bit of money! Im currently in college so its not like I have any money to spare. So I guess my question would be if you guys know what the best way is to find a place to board(Ive looked at almost all the places I could find online) or even better if any of you guys know of places in south eastern idaho(I know its a long shot).

·
Registered
590 Posts
Have you tried asking for recommendations on Craigslist? I have found decent people through Craigslist, and if someone who boards there recommends it you know it might be worth it. Use caution though!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually have posted on Craigslist. It was up for about a month but I never got any replies :( I might post something again on there though

·
Super Moderator
14,113 Posts
You must have a farrier and vet?
Call the vet and ask for a recommendation...
Speak to the farrier but stress this must remain quiet as you don't need to be out on the street and no place to go...
Check with your college for a equestrian team. Find the coach and speak with them about the barn they use for lessons, the team and if they are looking for new members..
You need some horse resources in that area...
Check in the local feed store and ask the people working there if they know of anything.

Sadly, it sounds like you jumped at a to good to be true sounding facility and pricing.
For that board price I would be concerned the horse is being fed adequately forget cleanliness of the stall.
Time to find a new barn even if it is a distance away, your horse must have good care or you might not have a horse who is healthy..
:runninghorse2:...

jmo...

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Have you tried stopping at private places & asking? I've found good boarding that way.
There has to be some places with a barn & even if they don't you could blanket your horse.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I would advertise boarding wanted on craigslist, local fb pages, flyer on the bulletin board at the vet office and feed stores. I met my now B/O standing in line at the feed store. She heard me asking the store owner if she knew anyone that had room for boarding three horses. The price was right and I don't have to worry too much about my guys. There have been a few issues at this place but nothing that couldn't get worked out.

Reactions: AnitaAnne

·
Super Moderator
14,113 Posts
I can only say be careful of what you speak of, how you speak of and where you speak of wanting a new boarding barn situation...

Your current place may not take kindly to you wanting to leave and they have the right to tell you to get out. Give you a partial board refund and show you the door in a time-frame convenient to them, not you.

Be very careful what you advertise for and how you identify yourself...

Ask the wrong person, speak of the reasons why you want a new place...
Those posting seem to have had good experiences when searching for new barns, but I also can tell you that if your B/O hears of this you may just get booted out....
Discretion is very important while you look...much discretion.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Agree with @horselovinguy very important to be discrete. Word gets around quickly in the horse community.

Ask you farrier & ask the vet. Two good suggestions. But first think what you will state is the reason for looking...maybe looking for friends your age to ride/hang out with?

Or a bigger stall?

Maybe closer to you?

Closer to your work?

Closer to a boyfriend?

Come up with a reason that does not reflect poorly on where you currently are located.

The environment you are now in is likely very different than where you are from.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys so much for your responses! Im really struggling to find a good place that is somewhat nearby and doesnt cost an arm and a leg(As I have already given both arms and legs to pay for college :p ) I will just have to keep looking, while keeping everything on the down-low as not to push my luck with the BO. (They are decent enough people but have their own quite intensive and time-consuming jobs) It is definitely somewhat of a culture shock in regards to the equestrian community up here

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
OK, just a thought, and you may have already considered and if so, disregard.

What about approaching the barn owners to work off part of your boarding bill in exchange for helping clean up the place, or perhaps hiring you a few hours a week? Perhaps the owners are just overwhelmed with their other jobs and got behind? If you are limited by price and can't do pasture board this winter, you may need to find a way to make this place work. Boarding barns are few and far between in many areas. I know you're busy with college, but a couple hours a week picking rocks out of the arena and helping move the detritus from around the barn and keeping things swept may work out well for both you and the owner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.