The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go ahead and move this Moderators, BUT, bsms just sent me a copy of Clinton Anderson's Training book, the 2004 edition--pretty much THIS one:
I am SOOOO HAPPY!!!!!! He read a post that said I was thinking about buying a copy, then sent me a PM and offered his. WWWEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
I tried to offer to pay S & H, but he was so generous, he wouldn't let me. I got it yesterday and sat down and read the first 4 chapters--AFTER dinner...after feeding ALL of the animals, etc.--YOU understand. =b
This wasn't even a USED copy but BRAND NEW!!!!
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, SSSOOOOOO much, Bob!!!! You're just the best of the best!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,268 Posts
Glad you are enjoying it. It was the first book I bought on horses. I tried reading it, but at the time I didn't know enough to even understand the questions, let alone the answers. I skimmed thru it gain briefly before shipping. It still is too advanced for me, or maybe I just have strange horses.

On the one hand, I just finished riding Mia for 30 minutes at sunset. She's so much better at stopping that I ditched her Billy Allen curb bit and we went with a single joint eggbutt snaffle. Other than a very brief trot, we worked the whole time at a walk, doing neck reining and trying to turn her pentagons into hexagons, with the hopes of someday working our way up to octagons and maybe circles before she is 20 and I'm too old to think about. I doubt there are many on HF who can spend 30 minutes at a walk and feel like they were 'training' the whole time.

But thankfully, my horses have no mean in them. There are things I haven't trained them to do, or that they physically aren't ready to do (good circles), or stuff where I give them conflicting signals, and once in a while stuff where they are just scared of something (although they are getting pretty good about holding their ground when scared). But Mia and Trooper are sweet horses who try to work with their riders. I can't imagine Mia kicking out at someone, or trying to bite them, or acting dominate to them. They don't 'know' something but refuse to do it - if they know, and can do it, and are not afraid, they WILL do it.

I've got a book on things a horse should do before they are 'broke'. Suffice it to say that Mia has a LOT left...but a bad attitude isn't part of her make-up. And she can't progress as a horse any faster than I progress as a rider, so we may be at it for most of her life...and she is a 2001 model...:oops:

Good luck and enjoy the book!

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I am Delighted to have a copy of this book. I took what I learned from my Huntseat lessons (in the 1970's) and read scads of copies of "Practical Horseman", and training manuals while I was teaching lessons. Even though my lesson program produced TRUE bombproof horses who could stand next to cannons exploding, let you shoot off of their backs, ride on ANY trails with any rider--we took many riding vacations with our young daughters riding them--and were phased by pretty much NOTHING, there were still some things that they didn't do well, like backing and standing patiently for the farrier. I have always read training manuals and this one is helping me to understand the holes in my education as a horse trainer.
I agree with his philosophy. I have heard CA say, and I am reading this, too, many of the same things that I said while teaching other people to ride:
--you must know how to train your own horse if you want to be a satisfied horse owner
--horses (and other domestic animals) ONLY understand who is #1, and who is #2...there IS no equal in your relationship
--how and when to use a one rein stop...and the rein is pulled to your hip
(There was a mare that I bought, then sold, who bolted and I learned this technique stopping HER, ~1990.)
I would LOVE to go to his place and use his "horse playground!"
Thanks, again, Bob!! **hugs**

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.